A few "upfront" questions

Hi,

i would like to use unraid and have a few questions upfront:

1. Cache drive

I would like to use cache drive (SSD) to increase writing speed. Do I understand it correctly that when I copy data to a share (e.g. Multimedia)

- the data is copied to the cache SSD "invisibly". Meaning that even though the share is on the normal drive the file is placed on the SSD in the background first

- after a while the mover is started and the file is moved to the regular drive (e.g. over night)

- as long as the mover did not run there is no parity if the SSD fails?

- could i create a RAID1 with 2 SSDs in case one SSD cache disk fails before the file is moved

2. Docker

I understand that most additional tools/Apps are Docker containers, correct?

Thanks

Dennis

1. I think you've got it!

2. Some things are plugins instead of dockers. The Community Applications plugin adds to the webUI to give you an easy way to install other plugins and dockers. Plugins are usually things that need to work directly with the webUI or maybe even the disks. And of course, you can also host VMs.

sounds good, thank you.

So my configuration would be:

- 2x SSD to build a cache drive

- 4x HDD to build the main drive

i've got another question regarding webdav. I would like to do the following and would like to know if it's possible (easily ;))

- I have regular shares with data (e.g. Movies, Documents, TV, ...)

- I have multiple users (Mini, Mouse)

- All shares are accessible via smb
- Mini has access to Movies
- Mouse has access to all folders

- Now i would like to allow webdav access per user to the folders they have access to as described before

- But in addition i would like to define folders accessible by webdav in general
- e.g. Documents can not be accessed via webdav
- all other folders can be accessed
---> Mini can access Movies and Nouse can access Movies/TV via webdav

Thanks

Dennis

You can search the Apps using the APPS link at the bottom of this page. I get several matches for webdav. You can look at their descriptions and go to the support thread for any of these by clicking on its (?) link to see if any suit your use and ask / get answers to questions about it.