[Solved] New disk does not show up in Unassigned Devices

I'm not really sure if this is an Unraid or Unassigned Devices question. Please move this post over if this does not fit here. Perhaps it's a WAD (works as designed) thing but I think there is room for improvement:

All my disks are attached to a Supermicro backplane (BPN-SAS2-EL1). Some of these disks are passed through to a VM. These disks are marked as passed-through in Unassigned Devices.

One of the passed-through disks broke. So I had to replace that disk. I did shutdown the VM and physically replaced the disk at the backplane. I did NOT stop or shutdown the array of the host. It's not needed because the array of the host is not affected and because of the backplane features.

The new disk did appear immediately in /dev/disk/by-id - but not in Unassigned Devices.

So I did edit the VM template and replaced the broken </disk> with the new disk.

I did start the VM and everything in the VM went it's way as expected.

But Unassigned Devices does not list that new disk. The old disk is gone in Unassigned Devices, but the new disk does not appear. Whatever I do, Unassigned Devices does not recognize that new disk.

I was under the impression, that Unassigned Devices would catch that change because the new disk was added to /dev/disk/by-id.

Is it WAD or is this worth a Feature Request?

Edited by hawihoney
  • hawihoney changed the title to [Solved] New disk does not show up in Unassigned Devices

Solved.

This disk appeared several minutes after I started to "rebuild" that disk in the VM. Don't know why it took UD so long - perhaps a polling intervall - but finally it worked.

I must say, I'm impressed. QEMU is slow and leads to tons of iowait on the host, but the overall system is really cool:

Clipboard01.jpg