Milos

hi, I am running this system:

CPU: 3900x

GPU0: RTX 3070

GPU1: GTX 1030

RAM: 32gb corsair LPX

2 500gb nvme ssd's

possibly some harddrives

the power supply must be tfx and I was thinking about buying a silverstone TX700.

I am/will be running a dual vm system (Windows + Linux) + NAS although that definetly won't be used 24/7, mostly as long term video storage, and a lot of random small files < 1gb on an ssd.

GPU0 will be used for windows (solidworks and gaming)

GPU1 for daily driving linux (so probably never full load)

would a 700W psu be fine for this application?

I thought I would ask just to be sure, thank you in advance :)

700w really marginal or even won't enough.

You shouldn't calc / plan to use PSU max. rating.

PSU will degrade with times mainly because inside component degrade. PSU have life time.

In my experience for electronic device, over 70% fault case were cause by PSU. Yesterday, I got a 4yrs old electronic device PSU dead ( 7x24 ), this happen periodic.

using a TDP calculator I came at 509 watts for the full system + some additional HDD's, wich comes to 72.7% of a 700W psu, I was looking at this PSU:

https://www.alternate.nl/SilverStone/SST-TX700-G-700W-voeding/html/product/1715838

since this is probably the highest wattage TFX psu (SFX would be a pain to integrate in my 2U chassis) that is "silent", since I don't assume my 1030 and 3070 will ever go full tilt at the same time. would this be a fine choise or is 30% still on the tight side?

14 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

If according Nvidia / Silverstone recommend, 700W fine with RTX3070 in general. If no other good TFX PSU choice then go ahead.

This PSU really expensive .....

yeah, although the closest sfx psu from corsair (sf750) is 10$ more... another option would be buying a different large tower case (now running in a 4000D, which only fits 2 3.5inch HDD's and is really messy)

3 hours ago, Milos said:

using a TDP calculator I came at 509 watts for the full system + some additional HDD's, wich comes to 72.7% of a 700W psu,

How did you calculate the wattage for the HDDs....during spin-up a 3.5" HDD will consume 2-2.5A at 12V...each...so add 30W for each HDD to your baseline.