(SOLVED) Yet another clarification about split levels

For some reason I seem to have trouble figuring out the split levels.

/mnt/user/tvshows/adult.swim/Tim.and.Eric.Awesome.Show.Great.Job/S01.DVDRip

here you can see that I created a share called 'tvshows' where I've sorted some shows. With a split level of top 3, all season episodes should be on one drive, but seasons can be on different drives, right? Maybe its just a coincidence, but all seasons of every shows is on same drive right now.

Also, i have:

/mnt/user/sports/svcd/Afterbang.SVCD.DVDRiP-RES

with a split level of top 3 here as well, shouldn't all files and subfolders in the Afterbang folder be on the same drive? Because they are not atm. Maybe its just a fluke. but if i want the content of svcd to be allowed on different drives, like Afterbang on one and After.Hours on nother, should I instead use level 2?

if I want to change split level, can I just create a share called 'tv' and do 'mv tvshows tv' in the terminal and it will copy and change the split level of the folders and files?

Edited by Hugh Jazz
8 hours ago, Hugh Jazz said:

if I want to change split level, can I just create a share called 'tv' and do 'mv tvshows tv' in the terminal and it will copy and change the split level of the folders and files?

You can change Split Level but this will only apply to new files.  Unraid will never automatically move existing files between array drives.  You would have to take manual action to

get files moved between drives.

8 hours ago, Hugh Jazz said:

Also, i have:

/mnt/user/sports/svcd/Afterbang.SVCD.DVDRiP-RES

with a split level of top 3 here as well, shouldn't all files and subfolders in the Afterbang folder be on the same drive? Because they are not atm. Maybe its just a fluke. but if i want the content of svcd to be allowed on different drives, like Afterbang on one and After.Hours on nother, should I instead use level 2?

In this case the Afterbang folder is at level 3 and thus its contents are allowed to be stilt across drives.  As you surmised you would need level 2 for this not to happen.

thanks for the reply! :)

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

You can change Split Level but this will only apply to new files.  Unraid will never automatically move existing files between array drives.  You would have to take manual action to

get files moved between drives.

so moving files between shares with with the MV command in terminal doesn't count as doing it manually? i would have to move them to an external drive (off the array) and move back? or is there an easier way? maybe thats why it's not acting like i expected. i had the wrong split level from the beginning, and when I moved files to a new share I thought the split level of the files was updated

1 minute ago, Hugh Jazz said:

so moving files between shares with with the MV command in terminal doesn't count as doing it manually? i would have to move them to an external drive (off the array) and move back? or is there an easier way? maybe thats why it's not acting like i expected. i had the wrong split level from the beginning, and when I moved files to a new share I thought the split level of the files was updated

Why would you think doing anything in terminal is not a manual action?  Anything you do in terminal is by definition a manual action as it is not being done via the GUI.

Some people expect that if they change the Split level then Unraid will move files around to match the new Split Level without the user needing to take any other action.  I was just clarifying that this is not the case.

16 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Why would you think doing anything in terminal is not a manual action?

well thats what i thought, but you got me confused by your comment instead of just answering 'yes' to my question 😜 or did you mean that moving files to a new share (manually) still doesn't count as new files?

anyways, dont mean to be difficult here. i appreciate the help! 😊 thanks again

9 hours ago, Hugh Jazz said:

I guess I could have quoted this part of your post and just replied Yes to avoid the confusion that then arose.  I thought I was being clear but obviously was not :) 

5 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I guess I could have quoted this part of your post and just replied Yes to avoid the confusion that then arose.  I thought I was being clear but obviously was not :) 

hehe... i'm probably just overthinking the whole thing, confusing myself :P well, thanks again for your patience and your help! i'll mark this as sloved now :)

• Hugh Jazz changed the title to (SOLVED) Yet another clarification about split levels