Changing motherboard, question about the pci-e lanes

My unraid mobo seems to be dead and I'm thinking of changing it to the mobo from my main PC.

It's P5Q-E and has 3 pci-e ports (16 lanes), but from what I have read with 3 cards installed the speeds are x8, x8 and x4... I have understood this board cannot operate headless, so I'm left with the x8 and x4 speeds for controller cards.

The failed mobo had 28 lanes (P5N32-E SLI / x16, x8, x8) in 3 pci-e ports and I got around 60Mb/s for parity check. Is this going to be much slower with this P5Q-E?

I have 2 AOC-SASLP-MV8's and did had 6 on board sata ports.

Thanks!

The AOC-SASLP-MV8 is a 4x board, so running it in a 4x slot, 8x slot or a 16x slot won't yield any difference in performance. Theoretically, the 2 cards should perform the same or nearly the same as they did on the old board...

The only thing that may be problematic is if the P5Q-E does not let PCI-e cards other then Video Cards run in its 16x (mechanical) slots. This has been  a problem in the past. For a while, some manufacturers, in their infinite wisdom, were crippling the 16x slots to only support video cards...

DB

I own a P5Q-E and can confirm that it works fine with a video card in a slot other than the primary x16 slot.  I've successfully run systems with a video card in the second or third x16 slots as well as in a PCI slot.

One important point to note is that if you use any of the x1 slots, then the third x16 slot will be reduced from x4 speed to x1.

I would suggest putting the AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards in the first two x16 slots and your video card in the third x16 slot.  I've run it in that configuration before and had no problems with it.

Archived