Breakout cables: Forward or reverse?

Last week, I ordered this 3Ware cable, in anticipation of a controller card and a second drive cage.

One of the reviews of the cable said it was NOT for a back plane; ONLY for connection to drives directly. When the reviewer says "Connection to drives only", do the cages we like to use count as "drives only"?

Am I confused on what a back plane is? My Icy Dock 5 in 3 says it's a back plane.

I don't fully understand the difference between a reverse and a forward multi-lane cable. It would be best if I could refuse the amazon delivery if it is the wrong cable.

Thanks!

It also depends on what backplane you have. My SuperMicro case has sata ports on the backplane, requiring forward break out cables. Where the Norco has SAS connectors which requires reverse cables., at least that is my understanding of the Norco's. Point is one size does not fit all and you will need to do a little research on the cables that are right for your setup.