how you get Win 10 vm to not be choppy using it? or Audio being chopyy

i gave up for now graphics card pass through its not possible with AMD it seems 

so i went back to my Server running a Asus Tuf x570  3600 cpu

i got windows 10 installed..  and i use virtual DJ  or just play windows player

and the audio is choppy like if you were playing a record and placed your hand on it to stop the audio

i find it slow as mollasses  i posted in the General forums but no one replied

i pinned first 2 coursts to unraid at nthe last 4 to vms and such

didnt work

then i took the windows 10 vm and pinned all the cores to it..  

didnt work

i unpinned the cpu isolation cores  

and let windwos 10vm run on all cores still doesnt work

still choppy

i also running windows 10vm  on a gen 3 nvme so whats going on.. its not 100% cpu

either in VNC or RDP  doesnt matter same

Edited by comet424

wont run 

it loads up some thing  gives error

requested registry access is not allowed

i click ok  and click the refresh button

but gives the same error..

is msi mode for  msi boards?  

and i get vm to kinda work but all cores got 100% when i play a mp3 in the VM.. in bare metal it never goes all cores 100%

and the audio plays like a record playting and when you touch the record it has that pause etc..  and i cant get it to work  

i was thinking maybe i need a 12 core 3900x cpu?  or is this AMD issue  since i cant do passthrough with Ryzen  properly like my other post that never got solved

12 minutes ago, comet424 said:

wont run 

it loads up some thing  gives error

requested registry access is not allowed

i click ok  and click the refresh button

but gives the same error..

is msi mode for  msi boards? 

Did you run it as admin?

No it's not for msi motherboards, msi stands for Message Signaled Interrupts

There are some discussions about poor performance of win vm with newer unraid, have a look at them, some suggest to change the cpu governor inside the vm.

Edited by ghost82

ah ok so i had to extract it from the zip file.. and then ran as admin

so do i check everything off for msi?

maybe thats why i have sooo much problems with the AMD and passthrough  as i wasnt able to get it solved

but do i select all msi?   and does what the message signaled interrupts do to each thing?

uu.PNG

Sorry, I don't know how this MC6000 works in details: for what I saw it seems a sort of mixer, but how you connect it to the vm?

Is it connected via usb?

And if it is, does it attach to one of the virtual usb controller in the vm?

If so try to enable msi mode on the usb controllers.

If it's attached to the usb2 controller you see that it's using irq 11, which is shared with other devices: sometimes having a shared irq doesn't create any issue, sometimes it does.

But please, before doing it, save important data.

Edited by ghost82

this just a new install of win10 pro i couldnt do it with Home doesnt have RDP and figured it was maybe issue between Home and Pro

yes  its a DJ mixer i have plugged in via one of the USB ports on the back of the motherboard.

only thing thats installed in the vM

is Virtual DJ. ASIO driver for the mixer and some updates..  dont even have a SN yet for Windows 10 install as i went from home to Pro.... so its just the bare setup

what drives me nuts i have to do with them i find it with my other unraid desktop i experimenting  i gotta keep doing that damn DETACH ATTACH  in the VMs page.. i really dont know why vms loose USB that hot plug stuff i dont even unplug..

so  just check all the USB msi then?

so i figured maybe it was issue from win 10home running in VNC    so went Pro to try to get RDP  but even RDP VNC has same issues

and i find if i run the Virtual DJ software

all 6 cores run 100% now  by idling   yet  if i actually run it on a physical machine it runs near nothing percentage.. dont have it running so i cant get it to ya

but i can try checking the usbs then. i not sure which one is linked to the dj controller

not sure how you passthrough usb controller.. i know the system devices page and you check off boxs to link video card so you can pass through the video card in a VM but thats the limit of passthrough i know about

ill try that when i get back home to test it..  least the msi part.. the passthrough usb controller 

and i know there are no PCI devices below the usb check boxes in the vm settings

21 minutes ago, comet424 said:

i gotta keep doing that damn DETACH ATTACH

Now that I remember I had the same issue with my first vm setup, we are spoking about several years ago :D , when I was passing through a usb webcam to the vm: on next reboot my webcam was always detached, and I needed to attach it again. --> I don't know if it's what you mean by "detach/attach"

I fixed it by:

1. in the gui passthrough the device

2. switch to advanced view to see the xml of the vm

3. you will find something like this:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x046d'/>
        <product id='0x0892'/>
        <address bus='2' device='4'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev4'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </hostdev>

Note that your vendor id and product id are different, these are referred to my webcam

4. cut that block of code, paste it in the same position and save the xml

Now the change should be persistent and you wont need to attach the device again

Edited by ghost82
10 minutes ago, comet424 said:

not sure how you passthrough usb controller.. i know the system devices page and you check off boxs to link video card so you can pass through the video card in a VM but thats the limit of passthrough i know about

ill try that when i get back home to test it..  least the msi part.. the passthrough usb controller 

and i know there are no PCI devices below the usb check boxes in the vm settings

It's the same method used to passthrough any pci(e) device, including gpu, sata and usb controllers, etc.

As for the gpu, you need to ensure that the usb controller is in its own iommu group without other devices (if it's not you may need to use acs override), put a check next to it (vfio) to pass it through and configure the vm.

But in your machine (host) you need at least 2 usb controllers: the controller to which the unraid usb is attached cannot be passed through, so you need to pass the other one and use it for your vm.

Edited by ghost82

ill try when i get home.. and look  

and do you know which way yoru supposed to go   Downstream Both Multifuction  Disabled  .. i usualyl choose the Both  as i figured its what you want or mulitifunction i never know which one is right i remember seeing spaceinvader doing downstream.. but between unraid upgrades some stuff gets broken i notice   you need to change different settings..  

ill get screen shots when i get home of what i have..  

as i tried the multifunction down and both  for the same computer setup for my desktop to run 2 Desktops but it never helped  sooooo much headaches  to run it stable guess its just a AMD Ryzen thing   so i failed in the passthrough.. where Win would crash booting up or reboot the whol damn unraid to not booting  you wanna bash your head through a brick wall lol..

but i think unraid is the only one that does passthrough..  where freenas or exi  vmware cant do that... still like this unraid still dont know it 100%  wish it was around 20 yrs ago  or 90s been easier with all the DMA IRQ damn dip switchs and jumpers for your Soundblaster 16  Matrox video card lol 

Usually "both" is the way to go which hopefully will split at max the iommu groups, in some rare case it can cause issues.

"Both" is the same of "multifunction"+"downstream".

Unraid just gives you a beautiful gui to play with qemu and libvirt, it's a lot easier than messing with the code of a traditional linux distribution: anyway qemu and libvirt run on any linux, not only unraid, and on windows too (never tried it on windows).

Qemu in my opinion is far better than any other virtualizer, so since unraid gives you an easy way to interface with qemu and libvirt it's much appreciated by most of users.

Edited by ghost82

so i just got home  and i tested things.. i didnt try the editing xml yet

i tried the both multifun  downstream 

the system device page doesnt change..  

audio  in the vm  is still choppy   

if i load a song  cpu usage goes 100%.. shouldnt need 100% just to load 1 mp3

ya i like how the settings are drop down boxes  in the vms  better then the xml.. in 90s it was headache coding and DMA and IRQ settings and u get frustrated conflics of com ports.. now its trying to get VMS to passthrough lol  

but the gui is great as i more windows  i gave up on linux 20 yrs ago when i had enough with RedHat 5.0 i think it was back then.

nothings perfect but its convient 🙂

iommu1.PNG

iommu2.PNG

iommu3.PNG

iommu4.PNG

iommu5.PNG

ok ill take a look at link.. and ya i reboot each time..

i find now  if i use my virtual dj software the audio is chopping  and all run 100%  

if i play mp3 using default windows player  then now its not chopping least not the first file i tried and not using 100% on all cores

but as for the Multifuncion  Both Downstream..  and with VIFO  set to Yes..    i did reboot between each setting.. all show the same above  image of the device settings

but ill read that link now see if something in there

i tried multiple scenarios

all 6

last 4

cpu pinning isolation first 2 blank  the last 4   cores for the vm

they all react the same

ill take new screen shot

as i leave the first 2  for unraid for unraid and then the rest is dockers and vms  but ill try just the first core

so going from first 2 cores  for Unraid

i go 1st core... and the 5 cores to VM

she still stutters audio  so i didnt see much change from 2 cores unraid  4 cores VM  or all cores  VM  

minus the 100% cpu usage  with 1 unraid 5 vm   it didnt really hit all cores 100%

but the audio cuts out   in a choppiness  so those other tricks also didnt help  with the 1 to 5 ratio 

its like virtual DJ  uses more resources?  

if i run windows media player  it seems to play mp3 ok  but i wanna use the features of the virtual DJ  because it has 4 channel inputs so i can  4 things 2 mp3s or 2 line inputs etc

but it cant seem to play the mp3s  without stuttering

i dont actually know how to pass through a usb controller.. i posted the pics above all the system devices etc.. youd understand it better then me

i only know from a space invader video  do the override.. check off the 2 boxes so  audio and video of a graphics card  linked. which doesnt make sense  because if you got multiple cards  you be checking off multiple boxes ..   

but ya  and in the VM setting they dont have a passthrough  usb controller..  just Videocard  

and from the pics i posted it doesnt break up some of the devices  its got a gray box 

i dont understand it enough or i dont retain the information  enough as i dont dable with it everday  once in a blue moon kinda thing so i forget 

Edited by comet424