Drives dead after installing in UnRAID server

I have my server built in a Norco 2020 box with a SuperMicro X10SL7-F and an Intel Xeon E3-1231, It's been running reliably for years. I've added an LSI 9211 expansion card in an attempt to fill in the last 8 drive bays. I installed the card and a few drives, but never could get the drives to mount. I finally got a bit of time today to work on it, and was able to verify that the card is working and loading up during boot. I pulled the two drives I'd installed in those bays and tried to mount them on another computer. Both drives were dead and did not spin up.

I had another new drive, so I mounted it on my Mac and verified that it spun up and was read. I installed it into one of the bays in the Norco box and rebooted the server. No unassigned devices came up, so I pulled the drive and tried mounting it on my Mac.  It too was dead, not even spinning up.

Is there something I've done wrong that would cause disks to be fried when attached to the backplane? What could it be? What should I check or trace to figure this out? I don't really want to put more disks in until I have some idea of what's going on.