Offline uncorrectable error

Hello,

I'm  in the process of encrypting my array, following SpaceInvader One's guide, so I'm currently operating without parity to speed things up.  I received the popup notification "Offline uncorrectable is 1" for Disk 2, which I successfully encrypted and copied data to/from without errors yesterday. 

Today, while copying data with unBALANCE between two other disks I received the above error.  SMART shows 1 Current Pending Sector.

I then ran an extended SMART test (attached) and nothing appears to have changed.  On the Main WebGUI page, Disk 2 still has a green ball and shows no errors.  I realize the drive is getting old and I plan to replace it soon, however I just want to get through this encryption process successfully.

Should I continue my encryption process of the other disks?

If so, is it safe to do a parity sync after completion with this error?

Appreciate any guidance from someone more knowledgeable than me.  Thank you.

smrt.jpg

smrt2.jpg

scour-smart-20210730-1454.zip

Thanks @JorgeB

Here's my plan moving forward, please help me do a sanity check:

1) Stop Array.  New Config. Add the Unassigned Device (previous parity drive)  as Disk 11 (encrypted).

2) Copy Disk 2 to Disk 11.

3) Stop Array.  Tools, New Config. Remove Disk 2.  (Can I put the other disks in any order at this point?)

4) Order New Parity Drive

5) Finish encrypting other disks while I wait.

6) Add new drive and parity sync.

config.jpg

If you are going to do a New Config then I would think the easiest thing to do is:

• do the New Config and select the option to keep current assignments
  • Unassigned the current disk2
  • Assign the replacement disk in as disk2, if you want it encrypted set the file system for disk2 to say this
  • start the array to commit the new assignments
  • format the replacement disk2.

You can then mount the old disk2 via Unassigned Devices so you can copy the data back to the new disk2.

This avoids the need to ever have a disk11 in the array which will later need removing.

• 1 year later...
10 minutes ago, NotABanana said:

There's no way it's a software issue?

SMART attributes and SMART test results are recorded in the drive firmware by the drive firmware. Unraid just reports what the drive says the same as any other software that asks the drive for this information.

11 minutes ago, NotABanana said:

the same error pop up

Not entirely clear what exactly you mean by "same" since more than one thing has been discussed in this old thread.

And since it is an old thread and OP is done with it, I guess you can have it.

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.