rsync vs cwrsync and daemon or not daemon mode

I have been testing my unraid to death making sure I have a good backup system in place.  I had planned on having the unraid boxes backup the workstations keeping the pictures safe.  I can either have the unraid pull the files from the workstations, or have the workstations push the files to the unraid box.  The following 2 methods compare the exact same 5300 files.

unRaid Server Initiated

rsync -av --stats --progress /mnt/cs5 //mnt/disk3/Pix2011/

WinXP64 workstation initiated.

rsync -rav --stats --progress /cygdrive/d/"my documents"/"My Pictures"/"Pictures 2011"/ //tower1/disk3/Pix2011/

Interestingly, initiating the task from the workstation for a dry run with 5300 files and 130 gb results in about 90 seconds of run time.  

Initiating the task from unRaid results in a run time of about 15 seconds.

This is where no files have changed, and it is simply verifying everything is up to date.  Network is wired gig ethernet and running this with several gigs to transfer results in much more even time between the 2 methods.

Why is it so much faster initiating from unraid and pulling from the workstation, rather than initiating from the workstation and pushing to the server?

Would daemon mode be any faster?

If I had to guess it would be the difference in recursion (-r) option between the two calls.  If that is a typo and both calls are actually recursing, the difference could be added overhead going through the cygwin1.dll for cwrsync.  I've never actually done any comparisons between rsync and cwrsync so it would be interesting to see if that is the difference.

I have no clue about speed difference using rsync in daemon mode; hopefully someone else has some info on that.

If I had to guess it would be the difference in recursion (-r) option between the two calls.  If that is a typo and both calls are actually recursing, the difference could be added overhead going through the cygwin1.dll

Yes, that was a typo.  Both are recursing.  I am blown away at how fast rsync is when run from the unraid box.  It sure is a lot slower running via cwrsync.

I have the windows task scheduler calling the script that does the backup to unraid, and having it done this way will likely be easier to manage as you suggested.  The speed difference noted is interesting, but not terribly significant.  I will have the scheduler wait until the workstation is not being used for 10 min before kicking off this event, so it likely won't be noticed.

I'm using the pull method to backup my server to my unraid. 

rsync -amv --delete --chmod=Fo-x --log-file=/boot/logs/fs1_rsync.log 192.168.1.90::fs1 /mnt/user/backup/fs1

On a morning where there are no files to backup the log shows that the whole operation takes about 17 minutes to complete:

2011/03/11 04:41:25 [13845] receiving file list
2011/03/11 04:54:34 [13845] done
2011/03/11 04:58:16 [17308] sent 25 bytes  received 3594148 bytes  3535.83 bytes/sec
2011/03/11 04:58:16 [17308] total size is 257453877548  speedup is 71630.91

Funny thing is, this is the bulk of time involved.  Even when I've got a few gigs of ISO's, or other assorted files, to sync the average backup is between 21 and 30 minutes.

I'm using the pull method to backup my server to my unraid. 

rsync -amv --delete --chmod=Fo-x --log-file=/boot/logs/fs1_rsync.log 192.168.1.90::fs1 /mnt/user/backup/fs1

On a morning where there are no files to backup the log shows that the whole operation takes about 17 minutes to complete:

JarDo, how many files are being dealt with in those 17 minutes?  I'm guessing well over 100,000?