First UnRaid Build, AMD Parts

brgipple

Hello all, this will be my first PC build and obviously my first UnRaid build. I have my daughters 2 year old PC that i would like to re purpose into my server. The server will be for home storage, streaming music and movies to personal PC's, laptops and a HTPC. What i'm wanting to know, is the below hardware a good place to start and any recommendations you have. i trolled the forum looking at different things and just confused myself more.

MB is a ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus,

link http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=loNjR1kiB2uHkijb

Mother board has two SATA ports on the board, 2 PCI slots, 1 PCIe x16 slot, and a 10/100mb LAN connection.

CPU is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 Mhz, code name Brisbane,

Link http://products.amd.com/pages/desktopcpudetail.aspx?id=40&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Memory is 2 1G sticks of Super Talent DDR2 PC2-5300, sorry do not have the model number

The max number drives in the server will be around 6 but i will start with 3 1.5TB drives. I was thinking of using WD Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB 64MB

Link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136513

I will be replacing the crappy PSU that came with the PC. I was hoping you guy's could help size the PSU i will need, i plan on buying a modular for a little cleaner install. CPU requires 65W, the Hard drives around 10W each from what i could find. i was think 500 -550 PSU would be big enough.

I will also be replacing the Case, but not sure which yet.

My Questions

1. I have read that AMD CPU's may not be the best thing for a Unraid Build, True?

2. Will the 10/100mb LAN do what I'm wanting to do? or should i add a 1G LAN card. i read that Unraid only will use 1 LAN connection, if i add a 1G card can i tell it to use that card instead of the on board. should i use the PCI or PCIe slot for the 1g card?

3. Are the WD Green drives good for 24/7 operation in a server like this?

4. Should i use a PCI or PCIe slot for my add on SATA controller? which one do you recommend that has 4 SATA ports on it.

5 anything i'm missing or any suggestions?

Thank you all for your time in reading this and responding.

Brian

If you disable the on board lan from bios the other will work. I use the PCI version and then this leaves you able to get a pci express card for 8 sata conections plus the 2 on board.

I use AMD exclucivly and had no problem just dont get nvidia 4 or less chipset.

the board you have looks good and I would use somthing like a altec 300 becouse then you can have 9 drives up front or get two 5*3 ant have room to spare.

Power supplys are personal prefrance I like single 12 volt rail becouse i dont like balancing loads.

Have fun.

I will be replacing the crappy PSU that came with the PC. I was hoping you guy's could help size the PSU i will need, i plan on buying a modular for a little cleaner install. CPU requires 65W, the Hard drives around 10W each from what i could find. i was think 500 -550 PSU would be big enough.

If you plan on capping out at 6 you could get away with less (such as the Corsair CX430).  If you want to reuse the PSU on a future server then it makes sense to go bigger.

My Questions

1. I have read that AMD CPU's may not be the best thing for a Unraid Build, True?

I can't speak to your CPU, but I've been running a Sempron 140 with no issues and I know others have as well.

2. Will the 10/100mb LAN do what I'm wanting to do? or should i add a 1G LAN card. i read that Unraid only will use 1 LAN connection, if i add a 1G card can i tell it to use that card instead of the on board. should i use the PCI or PCIe slot for the 1g card?

It depends on what you want to do with it.  I think you'll be underwhelmed with the 10/100 on a media server.  As long-term data storage and backup, it would probably be tolerable.  If you can manage adding a Gb card, I'd recommend it.

Yes, all of my drives are WD Greens and work great.

4. Should i use a PCI or PCIe slot for my add on SATA controller? which one do you recommend that has 4 SATA ports on it.

Keep in mind that some boards don't support non-graphics cards in their PCIe x16 slots.  If you go the PCIe route, have a backup plan in case it doesn't work when you plug it in.  If a SATA PCIe works on that board I'd go that route and you'll be left with an open PCI slot for a GB NIC (You'll have to disable your onboard LAN)

5 anything i'm missing or any suggestions?

Check out the links in my sig for some good build ideas and some resources to help once you start working with unRAID.

I am running an AMD 5000B in one system and have had zero issues. Main thing about power supplies, look for a single rail 12V unit - makes it a lot easier then worrying about juggling everything.

I would use PCI-E port first for storage card, has more bandwidth. Typically will run fine in the x16 slot - I am running a 8 port SuperMicro in mine and works perfect. I also have HighPoint 2300 PCI-E x1 4 port controllers working. I had an issues at first, see this post http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11530.0, but they are working great now. Use the PCI slot for the GB card. As for whether to use GB or not, depends on what the rest of your network if running. Is everything wired into a GB switch? Lot of wireless? All that could make a difference as to wether it would really be used.  Stick with the 10/100 to start. If you find stutering and such, you can always add it after. I have a Patriot Box Office which only has a 10/100 and can stream 1080p no problem...

Cheers,

Shawn

6. I was looking at the Fractal Design Arc Mini or the Define Mini cases for this build, but haven't found a place that sells them. anyone know where i can pick on up?

1. I am also running a Sempron 140 and have had nothing but good performance with it. I haven't noticed in issues with streaming or anything.

2. I would really recommend gigabit LAN if you want to use it as a media server. Your hard drives should be the bottleneck in this type of a setup so don't give your network an excuse to come in and slow things down.

3. I run all green drives and they are perfectly fine for 24/7; I actually prefer them because they run much cooler, quieter and are a bit friendlier on power.

4. PCIe if you can; the added bandwidth is nice when you have something as large as an 8-port card plugged in

6. I am not sure where you are from, but NCIX ships to Canada and US and they carry Fractal Design cases. Fractal Design also has a good list of distributors on their company site (http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=buy&category=)