Lost All Data on Luks Encrypted Volume After Shutdown [Solved]

Just spent two days copying over data to my new Unraid setup and after I powered it down (gracefully) to change some stuff out it reported that one of my encrypted drives was unmountable.  The drive itself would unlock and the Luks header appeared to be correct.  After fiddling around a while I was able to get it back via the following method (my drive was sde1)

cryptsetup open /dev/sde1 luksRepair

xfs_repair -n /dev/mapper/luksRepair  --> This should be a read-only command.  If you're nervous about anything on here make a dd image of your device first.

This reported that I had a bad superblock so I reran the command as:

xfs_repair -L /dev/mapper/luksRepair -> Took about 10 minutes to run.  Found a secondary superblock that it substituted (or something like that) and then ran a bunch of other stuff.  10 minutes later my drive was back up and running.

Hope it helps someone else!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Realized I never replied, sorry for the dead thread resurrection but yeah I did a correcting parity check and it didn't report any errors.  Not sure because it seems to me like it should have and I remember being a little confused about that.  It's had several successful parity checks since then though so I guess I'm in the clear, ha ha.