Disabled disk

igk

Em not exactly, but thats part of the reason. Always the plan to have a brand new hdd for parity.

I would use it for data untill my new hdds arrive (next week or so), untill then my data is not protected...Plus this is good practice for when i switch all my data to unraid,,

Since you have dual parity your data is protected.

Parity has none of your data, and can't recover any of your data without all the other disks, so parity is actually less important than any data disk.

It would really make more sense to assign that parity2 disk as disk2 and rebuild the data to that, then replace parity1 when you get another disk for it.

1 minute ago, igk said:

ordered disks that are smaller then this new 4tb parity

I always buy the largest drives my current parity will allow, or upsize parity and do parity swap, anytime I need to replace a data disk. That way I always get more capacity than I had before. Important for me since I have a small form factor build with limited number of disks.

10 minutes ago, igk said:

i can reassign my old parity drive as the replacement data drive?

yes

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

And of course you couldn't do that if you wanted to since it is larger than parity. Didn't notice that before.

That would have been a good time to do parity swap, which would have resulted in the 4TB disk as parity1, and the old parity1 as the replacement for disk2.

Nearly what you have now, except now you end up with 4TB parity2 disk, and no disk as parity1. Nothing wrong with that, but parity2 is a more complicated calculation (not so complicated that it affects performance for modern CPUs). The parity disks are not interchangeable but either protect from one failure.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:49 PM, igk said:

Ok i admit i haven't read the instructions compleatly YET..

But can't i copy from the old to the new parity drive??As per instructions on the unraid wiki..

Probably you were talking about parity swap here, maybe if you had linked the instructions it all would have made a lot more sense.