Are small computer shops a thing of the past?

Spectrum

I need a 2 port pcie sata controller and thought it would be nice to get it locally so I could tinker over the weekend plus I could support a local business.  I knew anyplace local (Knoxville, TN) would be more expensive than the online stores and I was prepared to spend a few extra bucks for the convenience.  I called several places and their cupboards were bare.  I finally found one store that had one and went to check it out.  It was a generic 2 port card with an SI chipset and they wanted $75 for it.  My first response when they quoted the price was "Are you serious?"  The sales rep replied that that was indeed the price.  I replied that it was extremely over priced, thanked the gentleman for his time, and left.

I don't know where the markup is occurring (probably at every step) but $75 is absolutely absurd.  These generics are available directly from China for ~$8 if you can wait for the shipping; and Amazon/Newegg/Fry's all have several choices for a 2 porter in the $30 range.  In the end I ordered one from Amazon with 1 day shipping (Amazon Prime :)) for right at $30 and according to the shipping details it should arrive tomorrow even though it's Saturday.

So are small shops pricing themselves out of business or are they just preying on the uninformed masses?

I too would like to support local shops whenever possible. I give my machines to a shop just down the street when I get into troubleshooting I just can't resolve. He replaced the speakers in my laptop for $50. But his components are overpriced, so I plan ahead as best I can. Otherwise I'm waiting...

Best Buy isn't a local shop, but they do the same thing. I bought a Samsung 24" monitor last year. They don't include a DVI cable. I tried four other stores and could not find one, so Best Buy was my last stop. $90 for a 2 meter cable! :o :o :o :o :o "What's the return policy because this is coming back as soon as the normally priced model arrives from monoprice?" "Oh, just bring it back and we'll get you a refund." Yeah...

I've found my local shops to be overpriced as well.  I wish they weren't, because I would love to patronize them.  I buy all my components from online vendors.  However, I do buy small little parts from the local shops once in a while (random cables, HDD jumpers, things like that).

Very sad that local shops are dying.  Prices are definitely higher than online.  I did buy a CPU from my local ship recently.  It was $99 vs $87 online, but was worth it to get it now and I like supporting them.  They do install a CPU / HSF on a motherboard for free (if you buy both there) - which was a nice service before I learned the fine art.

But best bargain there is service.  For $50 they will diagnose most anything.  I had a very unlikely flakey processor (3 months of warranty left).  I thought it was the MB but had no spare parts to isolate it.  They isolated it to the processor and even took care of the warranty exchange with Intel.   No charge since I bought the MB and CPU there.  A neighbor had a dying hard disk that I worked on for an hour with no luck.  Even tried the freezer trick.  He took it there and they recovered his data.  No idea how.  

Every time I drive by the place I wonder how they stay in business, but I think it is 90% service.

Very sad that local shops are dying.  Prices are definitely higher than online.  I did buy a CPU from my local ship recently.  It was $99 vs $87 online, but was worth it to get it now and I like supporting them. 

Every time I drive by the place I wonder how they stay in business, but I think it is 90% service.

$99 local vs $87 online is reasonable, the small shops don't deal in the bulk that the etailers do an a slightly higher cost is expected.

I agree too that service can help keep a local shop in business.  That's one thing newegg/amazon won't do for ya.  At least not yet...

Things are rather different in Philippines, but I have found one shop (in the local mall) which offers prices which are comparable with, if not lower than, anything I can find at online (in Philippines) retailers.  Needless to say, I am a frequent customer there.

I agree with small computer shops being overpriced.

We the consumers have become more aware of how and what a good bargain is, thanks to online we can spend some time (anywhere we decide) to research and checkup on the prices and quality of the product, however being at a "local computer shop" I think of them as forcing the product they have onto you, b'cos once you there they believe "you needing the equipment badly or just a john doe who can't use a computer and can't get past spam to see real bargains" and so you won't be leaving that shop empty handed, pressure sale.

Radio Shack , Loved going there for tinkering and checking out the electronic components section (cable and capacitors galore) and very bright sales people that could tell a capacitor from a speaker, they use to even offer repair of equipment (now that's telling my age) ... well all that is now changed, where the electronic section resided is now cells phone booth with un-knowledgeable attendants ( i guess they hope you just going to  buy stuff b'cos it looks great on the shelf) ; honestly (b'cos of who they were and now who they want to be) doesn't fit what the consumers are use to and forcibly look elsewhere.

I don't see how "small shops" will survive these waves of online-"cheap"-marts where you get feedback as soon as you get to the product page you're considering purchasing and with ability to check out prices from china,japan,india all on one page.

I wanted to add that I went to a Fry's Electronics store a couple weeks ago for the first time since becoming serious about computers. Last time I was there was about 1997. I was overwhelmed by the selection and unable to really make a decision. I was not able to make comparisons between products, as I've become accustomed to reading reviews of consumers who bought before me. Maybe if I knew what I was wanted to buy at Fry's before going into the store and compared the products beforehand, but then why not just order from home?

I wanted to add that I went to a Fry's Electronics store a couple weeks ago for the first time since becoming serious about computers. Last time I was there was about 1997. I was overwhelmed by the selection and unable to really make a decision. I was not able to make comparisons between products, as I've become accustomed to reading reviews of consumers who bought before me. Maybe if I knew what I was wanted to buy at Fry's before going into the store and compared the products beforehand, but then why not just order from home?

Fry's opened a store in Austin when I lived there back in the late 90s and I was shocked.  It was like Newegg in a brick and mortar!  The best explanation I could give people who had never been inside one was that it was "Best Buy on crack."  I shopped there quite frequently and the reason was they had the parts I needed at a reasonable price.  Buying parts at Fry's vs online was usually about the same price if you factored in sales tax and shipping for Newegg, but Fry's was local and had an awesome return policy; plus there was the instant gratification factor.  There were times when I needed something "now" and Fry's could provide that at good price.  There were some things (ie video cards) where their prices were a rip-off, but if you had a good handle on the market you could spot the things that were way over priced.  And in contrast, way over priced at Fry's was no where near the 200% increase that I've seen at small local shops.

Archived