Thoughts: Used Dual AMD CPUs & Motherboards

hernandito

Years ago I went the used dual Xeon 2670 CPU and ATX SuperMicro motherboard way. From eBay. It was a thread that started here. It’s been and still is awesome. I believe these were pulled from old Facebook servers or something like that. I have a total of 16 cores / 32 threads. It was all very cheap where MB, CPUs and ram totaled like $500 ~ $600.

I was curious about AMD and found something that’s potentially similar. There are matched pairs of AMD Opteron 2.6Ghz 12 core CPUs for $17. Then there are motherboards for dual Opteron CPUs that are quite cheap as well. I have not researched enough nor am I an AMD expert to see if CPUs and MBs are compatible. This would be 24 cores.

Is this something similar and/or better than the used Xeon adventure? Or are these CPUs way inferior to the old Xeon E5 2670? My Xeon CPUs are probably well over 10 years old.

The AMD items:

CPUs

Motherboard

It sounds too good to be true… hoping to get some quick thoughts before I start diving down that rabbit hole.

thanks.

H.

Edited by hernandito