2 TB Hitachi 7K3000 - $99

Rajahal

I recently added this drive to my server as the parity drive - it is working very well.  From what I am seeing my parity checks have gone from 58-60MB/s to anywhere from 65MB/s - 85MB/s+ (previously using a WD Caviar Black 1.5TB).  So far it appears to be a great drive.

Is that using other 7200 rpm drives as data drives, or green, or a mix?

A Mix - This is using the 7K3000 for parity and 2x Hitachi 5K3000 (green) + 3x WD Caviar Black 1.5TB + 1x WD Caviar Back 1TB for data.  I was getting SLOWER speeds using ALL WD Caviar Blacks before the move to the three Hitachi drives.

As mentioned, during parity checks I see fluctuations from 65-85MB/s - sometimes momentarily as high as 90MB/s+.  With my previous setup the speeds would be more constant around 58-60MB/s. 

I was actually going to post this in the forum as I was unsure of the reason for the increase in speed (didn't seem correct as the WD 1.5TB parity seemed pretty fast). 

Not nearly as good as some of the in-store deals, but I believe this is the best online deal I've seen for this drive.

HITACHI Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723020BLA642 (0f12115) 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

$99.99 + free shipping after promo EMCKFJH38 (expires 04/18/2011)

Hey Rajahal, what where the in store (what stores, please) deals you saw were going for $$?

Nevermind.  I thought I remembered seeing this drive on sale for $70, but I just did a search and realized I must have been thinking of the 5k3000 (the green counterpart).  It looks like this is the cheapest the 7k3000 has been.