Taking the plunge with Unraid and a Norco 4224

Ouze

Newegg does carry the new version of the 4224, they just haven't updated their pictures.  Another good source of the case (and other Norco cases) is chipsdigitalPC.  Their sticker price is actually cheaper than Newegg, but Newegg has a 10% off deal going right now.

I've never actually used rails with the case, but I believe those are the correct ones.  They are the same ones that have been bundled with the case in combo deals in the past, so that's a good sign.

The Corsair 750W has a single 60A rail.  This is not enough to run 22 7200rpm drives.  If that's your goal, you'll need the Corsair 850W with a single 70A rail.  If you will be running a mixture of 7200rpm and green drives, then the 750W should be fine.  If you are only going to run one or two 7200rpm drives and the rest green drives, then even the 650W would be fine.

I am also of the opinion that a modular PSU is somewhat pointless with the Norco 4224 since there's so much room to store excess cables.  Still, if you want to pay that much for a PSU, go right ahead.

Re: Rails: I ended up getting a rail kit by Gruber ($28.64 per kit). Shipping was $10 to Canada for 2 kits (one for my UPS). Oddly enough, I'm not seeing them for sale directly from Gruber anymore. It seems like they may have moved to an ebay store... (Or just out of stock). Not sure if it's as good a deal anymore, but I can say I'm quite happy with them. :)

The only thing I should mention is that they are not the traditional "bolt the server into the rail kits" rails. The rail kits bolt into the rack, and the server rests on those rails (like it's sitting on a shelf). You can bolt the server at the front into the rack if you desire, but I did not bother as the server is heavy enough not to go anywhere...

I think the biggest plus to this type of system is that it should work for just about any rack with square mounting holes. I got a bit nervous when I was looking around because it seems like every rail kit had some incompatibility with certain racks and/or server cases (The rails you linked to have some comments to that effect), so decided to go with the almost sure thing... :)

Thanks to the info, those rails are a good price but like you said more a shelf rail system, my UPSs have those type. As they is no reason to slide a UPS out to service, the battery pack tray slides right out. But I a server case like this I perfer to be able to have it slide out. Many thanks thought, always good to learn something thats out there.

Thanks to the info, those rails are a good price but like you said more a shelf rail system, my UPSs have those type. As they is no reason to slide a UPS out to service, the battery pack tray slides right out. But I a server case like this I perfer to be able to have it slide out. Many thanks thought, always good to learn something thats out there.

I totally agree about the slide out convenience. For me, it was more about getting something I knew would work. If I was buying locally, I would have for sure gotten some sliding rails, but as I was ordering over the internet, I didn't want to risk it! If you're comfortable that the Newegg rails will work in your rack, I would get them too! :)

OK, pulled the trigger and even signed up for ShopRunner Trial (I have Amazon Prime and love it) (PSU, Rails shipped free 2-Day)

4224 case, 26" rails, and went with the CORSAIR AX750 750W PSU (even more modular and PLUS GOLD Certified) for $149.99 after mail in rebate. It is almost the same amount as the Corsair CMPSU-750HX unit. My KillAWatt meter will tell the story. If I recoup some money on my yearly electric bill, I will be happy.

Done, and moving on with my life  ;D