data taking more space on BTRFS disk

wgstarks

I tried to copy 3.71 TB of data from an XFS formatted disk to a 4 TB btrfs formatted disk but had to stop the copy because it was pretty obvious that it was going to over fill the disk.

I used this command-

rsync -av --progress /mnt/disks/deluge/ /mnt/torrent/

Both disks are 4 TB. Does data take more space on btrfs?

16 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Is it normal for the root level directories on the btrfs pool to show up as shares? I'm not sure what to configure for "use cache" setting?

All top level folders on array or pools are automatically a user share and always have been. Any user share you haven't configured has default settings.

Just now, trurl said:

There is no such setting for pools, only for user shares.

Since there seems to be some confusion on pools vs. user shares, I have to wonder which you were referring to here:

9 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Also, I can't set smb security to anything other than public. Can't change any of the share settings at all. That can't be right.

3 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

tried to set security on the top level folder on the pool

There is no security setting for folders, there is only security settings for shares (and for disks). Perhaps you meant you tried to set security for the user share.

2 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Same for the pool itself in the disk shares.

I always recommend not sharing disks. There is more than one way you can make mistakes with that.

Just now, trurl said:

I think you may have a problem because you have named the pool the same as a user share.

That might be causing Unraid a problem, but it would also cause SMB problems if you export that pool, one of the ways I mentioned

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

I always recommend not sharing disks. There is more than one way you can make mistakes with that.