IOMMU devices passed through and selected automatically?

Geck0

I'm new to VMs, having used unRaid for a couple of years now.

I've watched the 'beginner videos' by SpaceInvader on this subject, but I am puzzled by the results.

In the Bios I've enable XHCI for USB.

I've enable PCIe ACS override.

These are my IOMMU groupings for some of my USB controller / devices. 

image.thumb.png.ded3eb03d0b2996aa6d1b72e157b998e.png

You will notice that I' haven't select 1022:149c and my understanding is that I need to do this to bind it to VFIO. However, its still available to the VM, even if if I haven't selected it.

image.thumb.png.90a156fb551f345faff751cda9385899.png

I was having trouble starting the VM, because of the two lighting node cores having the same designations. I managed to get around this by selecting them using the BUS and Device ID, which I've posted about today.

However, I added them using XML. The tick boxes in the VM remain unticked. 

More importantly, if I ticked them in System's device manager to be bonded to the VFIO, they don't show up in device manager, nor do they show up in the VM as an option.

I have tried to find the answer to this, but its not obvious. I don't know if the reason they don't show up is because they're now hidden from unRaid, in which case how do I pass them to a particular VM?? If I leave them unselected in device manager then I would not expect them to be available to a VM.

So, I'm working with it, but its not clear to me how this works?

5 hours ago, Geck0 said:

I'm new to VMs, having used unRaid for a couple of years now.

I've watched the 'beginner videos' by SpaceInvader on this subject, but I am puzzled by the results.

In the Bios I've enable XHCI for USB.

I've enable PCIe ACS override.

These are my IOMMU groupings for some of my USB controller / devices. 

image.thumb.png.ded3eb03d0b2996aa6d1b72e157b998e.png

You will notice that I' haven't select 1022:149c and my understanding is that I need to do this to bind it to VFIO. However, its still available to the VM, even if if I haven't selected it.

image.thumb.png.90a156fb551f345faff751cda9385899.png

I was having trouble starting the VM, because of the two lighting node cores having the same designations. I managed to get around this by selecting them using the BUS and Device ID, which I've posted about today.

However, I added them using XML. The tick boxes in the VM remain unticked. 

More importantly, if I ticked them in System's device manager to be bonded to the VFIO, they don't show up in device manager, nor do they show up in the VM as an option.

I have tried to find the answer to this, but its not obvious. I don't know if the reason they don't show up is because they're now hidden from unRaid, in which case how do I pass them to a particular VM?? If I leave them unselected in device manager then I would not expect them to be available to a VM.

So, I'm working with it, but its not clear to me how this works?

mapping that device to vfio will alocate the whole usb controller to the vm.

bus and dev numbers can change. My plugin USB manager support same vendor and product ids and will auto hotplug without passing through a whole controller.