Limited Space Between Sata ports and Case - Multiple Angled Sata Adapters for Motherboard?

Janddy

I am about to start putting my new build together, and I came across a blog where someone used the same case as me. They had an issue where the sata ports on the motherboard were angled sideways which made it difficult to plug in the sata cables due to being really close to the wall of the case. This is how tight it was for them:

image.png.d0c0b14e1f3c62f0fad8ba9918448498.png

https://lanoc.org/review/pc-hardware/8346-project-data-hoarder-truenas-core-build-part-4-psu-rails-and-installation?start=2

My motherboard also has sideways facing sata ports and the sata ports are in the same location on the board, so I think I will have the same problem - especially since the cables I will be using look like they have bigger ends than those used in the blog.

So, I am thinking this could be solved with some angled adapters or similar. I have found some online such as this:

image.thumb.png.9b9e65ec0b417a941e4fb65045cd2390.png

However, since the sata ports are stacked one on top of the other, I would only be able to use one of these for each column of ports (4 in total). I was thinking I could get 4 short adapters and 4 long adapters (which reach over the short ones), but I haven't been able to find any long ones.

Does anyone have any other ideas for solutions to this problem?

12 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Dremel + file + a few hours ?

Ha, didn't even think of that. I suppose that would work. May resort to that if needed.

8 hours ago, Squid said:

Add on sata controllers and forget about onboard ports

Interesting. I assume that would be something like this, or this? Are there other benefits of using an add on sata controller, apart from being easier to plug in?

10 minutes ago, Janddy said:

Interesting. I assume that would be something like this, or this? Are there other benefits of using an add on sata controller, apart from being easier to plug in?

Yes but those two are not great examples.

The first one uses port multipliers, that hurts performance quite a lot. The second is a RAID card and it is not recommended for Unraid. It might be possible to flash it to IT mode ?

In any case, you can find recommandations here :

6 hours ago, Janddy said:

Ha, didn't even think of that. I suppose that would work. May resort to that if needed.

If you do cut metal, remove ALL electrical parts from the case while doing the work, and clean the area thoroughly before putting the components back in. Last thing you want is to short something out with a metal shaving that migrated to just the wrong place.