Cache SSD is Unmountable: not mounted

dcruff
Go to solution Solved by dcruff,

I'm starting to wonder if I even need a cache drive to help out my Emby performance.  I've now got all of my media moved over to my array and I'm not worried about any performance issues while moving more data to the array.  What bothers me most right now is that my Emby docker disappeared and I'm not sure if I'll have to reset all of my Emby configuration back up.

That sounds so easy, but I don't see a 'scrub' option.  Could that be because the drive is "Unmountable: not mounted"?

Under the "Scrub Status" the 'scrub' button is greyed out with a statement that "Scrub is only available when array is Started".  The cache SSD is not part of an array.

Edited by dcruff

I think that I'm too green of a linux user to understand your instructions.  Maybe the best question might be, do I have any data that should be restored from off of the SSD.  This is a new install and the only data that I really care about is already on the drive array.  The cache was just there for performance.  Apparently, the SSD cache drive had information about the dockers also (Emby and Krusader) and that's why the dockers have disappeared.  I made sure to store all EMBY meta data for my movies in local nfo files in the actual media folders along with associated artwork so I don't think that I'd have to re-massage the media files.  I may have lost some Emby configuration and setup informtion, but I'm not sure.  It seems odd that Emby would store that information on the cache.   I thought that everything stored on a cache drive was just temporary.

Can I just reformat the cache and re-install the dockers?  Do I really need the cache?  Can I add a cache SSD later after successfully setting up Emby again?

Or, should I see if there is something worth salvaging on the cache SSD?

I know that's a lot of question but I just want to get Emby up and running finally on Unraid.  I'm still running it on my old Windows server until this is ready.

52 minutes ago, dcruff said:

Can I just reformat the cache and re-install the dockers?

Yes, will also need to re-configure them.

Do I really need the cache? 

Up to you.

Can I add a cache SSD later after successfully setting up Emby again?

Yes.

Reinstalled the Emby Docker and re-set up the media categories and everything appears to be working well.  All of my 4,000 movies and series seem to be in tact.  The Unraid server has also been running solidly.  I then formatted the 1 TB cache but have not enabled it for any of the shares.  I think that the cache was at the center of most of my problems over the last couple of weeks.

I'm going to run the system without the cache for a while before starting to use it again.  I'm still curious what performance improvements I might see while streaming.

42 minutes ago, dcruff said:

I'm going to run the system without the cache for a while before starting to use it again.  I'm still curious what performance improvements I might see while streaming.

Ideally, you want appdata, domains, system shares on fast pool (cache) so dockers/VMs will perform better and won't keep array disks spinning since these files are always open.

• Solution

I just checked my shares on Unraid to add cacheing to my appdata and domains and saw that they already had their caches turned back on.  Apparently, when I reformatted and mounted the SSD cache drive, it automatically turned the cache on for several of the shares.  I'm still debating whether I want to use it for media library.  I'm also a little bothered that it turned all of those shares to "Yes : Cache" without my doing so.

So far, it has been running smoothly though.

23 hours ago, trurl said:

Ideally, you want appdata, domains, system shares on fast pool (cache) so dockers/VMs will perform better and won't keep array disks spinning since these files are always open.

Disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings, set those shares to cache-prefer, run mover to get them moved to cache.