Best folder structure for Plex

Fogey

Hello, I'm a very new user trying to set up UnRaid and then run Plex on it.  My question relates to the folder structure I should use - I think I may have already set things up incorrectly.

I thought I had to set upp shares for each of the categories on videos I have - i.e. Movies, TV Shows, Home Movies etc. - i.e. I was treating the shares as directories as folders.

However, I've seen some setup info that suggests I should set up a single share - say Media - and then hang a bunch of folders under there for Movies, TV etc.

Can anybody help me out, and perhaps point me to  detailed setup  for Plex?

Thanks

Fogey

24 minutes ago, Fogey said:

My question relates to the folder structure I should use

Both of the share structures you mentioned are very common.  I use the first with a share for each media type (Photos, Movies, TV Shows, Videos, Music, etc.)

I personally like to organize things this way and then I set up a path for each share in Plex docker container (/movies is mapped to /mnt/user/Movies).  These paths are then mapped to a Library type in Plex (Movies library mapped to /movies).

This is my personal preference only.  Other prefer a single Media share with sub-folders for media type.  I like just going directly to the appropriate media share.

image.png.62ca28d4157ee2fbd77e98b7ee23f7e4.png

image.png.4feb95f243ef70345404c6b2e290000e.png

Edited by Hoopster

Thanks you so much for your post - it reassured me that I'd not completely lost the plot!

I've decided to go with one share - Media - with all the various categories of media (Movies/TV Shows etc) in subdirectories of media. That is more similar to the layout I had when I was running Plex on my Ubuntu machine. I assume that once I move all the files to the subfolders in the media shares, in effect UnRaid will then manage all the disk space for me under the one share and I'll be able to delete the old shares that I'd created?

Thanks

Fogey

• 6 months later...

Setting up Plex now and want to retain my existing separate share structure, with Television and Movies shares. The question I have is how to fill out the Host Path 3 entry on the template. This would, in the normal setup, be the top level media directory.

Any thoughts or help?