Unassigned devices drive letter changes randomly after reboots

Stri

22 minutes ago, Squid said:

Drive letters are never guaranteed to stay the same under linux, and will change for array devices.  You want to identify them for passthrough by something like /dev/disk/by-id 

"/dev/disk/by-id"

Which id is that?

1 minute ago, Squid said:

ok.  Then better question is 

how are you 

yep. i use them as passed through disks in several vms. for example 1 ssd as primary boot device in a windows 10 vm, in 2 other windows (10/11) as passed through disks.

...and when my former SATA is now USB - the disk does not work anymore in the VM or is another drive...

edit:

a special binding in vm settings with serial number would be nice - something like /dev/disk/A06TBAS for example :)

or did i miss something - but i "only" want to bind the disks to the VM, think that should be possible somehow in such a powerful OS like Unraid.

Edited by Stri

Yes. I understand.  How are you referencing the drives for passthrough?  Under Linux the /dev/sdX monikers are never guaranteed to stay the same from one boot to the other.  It's akin to looking at a drive in Windows Disk Manager and seeing disk #0, disk #1 etc -> those will potentially change, but the "letter" stays the same.  Your solution is to reference them instead by /dev/disk/by-id/.... (this is more akin to the drive "letter" that windows uses) that will stay the same all the time unless by you moving from SATA to USB changed the ID (which some USB adapters will do) in which case there's not much you can do.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Squid said:

Semi-known issue which is hopefully fixed on next release.  The solution is to apparently switch your vdisks (if you have them) from "Auto" to Manual and set them accordingly.

don't know what you mean and issue is not resolved yet.

1 use case:

i try to start the vm from an unassigned device/ssd - and want to switch from /dev/sd* to /dev/disk/by-id/? (still don't know which id should i add here - "Intenso_SSD_Sata_III_AUSAT0608OUT******" for example?), but GUI is stuck @ updating anyway, so i can't change it.

i don't have a vdisk, i have the whole ssd with windows 10 on it. how can i transform it to a vdisk - if that is the solution?

don't want to set it up completely new now...

another one:

- pass through several disks (USB/SATA) to 2 different vms - same issue here (changing sd* after reboots and can't update vms (stuck @ updating)).

edit:

could now save VM in XML view, but when i want to start vm - i get the error message "

Execution error

Cannot access storage file '/dev/disk/by-id/Intenso_SSD_Sata_III_AUSAT0608O..........': No such file or directory"

Edited by Stri

UPDATE/SOLUTION:

After a bit of research it's resolved.

Maybe it helps for other not so experienced people like me, i'm quite new to unraid/linux.

1. find out ID from drive:
ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

--> in GUI the ID was different - in console i saw, that an "ata-" is kind of missing in GUI.

2. edit VM in xml mode and replace "/dev/sd*" with "/dev/disk/by-id/ID" - saving works now

3. start vm :)

Edited by Stri