How to maximise Windows VM to Array HDD throughput?

Crad

Heya,

I have a windows VM I use for processing high resolution images. I've been running some tests with a mixture of Cache (nvme), Array (spinning disks) and Vdisk's - both ones stored on nvme drives and stored on traditional hdd's - and I'm a little confused by the results:

What are these tests doing?

Without getting too into it, we're essentially taking 90, 400mb files and combining them into one 14gb file with a fair bit of CPU and GPU processing of various sorts in between - hence the large amount of RAM, 16GB GPU and high end CPU. Each time the process runs it uses around ~64gb of RAM and ~12GB of GPU VRAM, that just indicates the primary driver of the time difference is definitely the read/write.

R/ = read from
W/ = write to

===== VM Specs: 128gb ram | 5950x 20 threads | 6800xt =====
1 - R/vdsk-Cache        -      W/vdsk-Cache       -   4:30 per frame
2 - R/vdsk-Array        -      W/vdsk-Array       -   9:00 per frame
3 - R/vdsk-Array        -      W/share-Cache      -   10:30 per frame
4 - R/share-Cache       -      W/share-Cache      -   8:45 per frame
5 - R/share-Array       -      W/share-Cache      -   14:00 per frame
6 - R/share-Array       -      W/vdsk-Cache       -   12:10 per frame

Explaining the above a little further:

The optimal hardware arrangement seems to be (line 1)to read from, and write to, a VDISK located on the Cache pool. This results in a time of 4min 30 seconds. However, because VDISKS occupy their allocated space fully, this is not feasible as I would need a VDISK of approximately 12TB on NVME drives which would be quite costly.

Line 2 is the same setup but the VDISK is stored on the Array (spinning HDDs). This takes twice as long to complete, not bad, but it still requires a VDISK to permanently fill a significant portion of one of the HDDs in the Array.

Line 3 is where things gets confusing. By changing the output directory to the a share located on the Cache pool, I would expect the output time to improve, since the Cache should be significantly faster even with the emulated network adapter.

Lines 4-6 are further tests I did but these either are non-optimal settings, or produced slower results than other options which are more optimal, so they are just here for thoroughness.

--------------

Does anyone have insight as to why it might be slowing down in line 3 vs line 2? What is it about copying to a cache pool share that causes it to be so much slower than a VDISK on spinning disks?

Any insight is appreciated!

Edited by Conrad Allan
Improved formatting
7 hours ago, Conrad Allan said:

However, because VDISKS occupy their allocated space fully, this is not feasible as I would need a VDISK of approximately 12TB on NVME drives which would be quite costly

Because of that, trim won't actually wind up doing anything so write speed to a vdisk will always steadily degrade.

You want to do this to mitigate this: (the comment and link at the top should also fix you up easier)

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to provide an update here. I ended up being pulled into another project for the last 6 weeks so I've been unable to test the above suggestions, however we fixed the issue by instead passing through a dedicated drive to the VM. This was the ultimate plan anyway, we figured it was easiest to just go that route.

Thanks for the help again!