How should I use a larger HDD

Pstark

I first NAS is a QNAP that currently using. I started building my UNRAID server and was waiting till I get it fully set up and comfortable with it before I switch over. 

QNAP

Seagate EXOS 18tb- Data drive

Western Digital Blue 1 TB- cache drive

UNRAID

Western Digital RED 8TB

Western Digital RED 4TB

Western Digital RED 4TB

Western Digital RED 4TB

What are my options for redundant storage when I put the seagate drive in UNRAID?

On 2/14/2022 at 5:23 AM, Pstark said:

I first NAS is a QNAP that currently using. I started building my UNRAID server and was waiting till I get it fully set up and comfortable with it before I switch over. 

QNAP

Seagate EXOS 18tb- Data drive

Western Digital Blue 1 TB- cache drive

UNRAID

Western Digital RED 8TB

Western Digital RED 4TB

Western Digital RED 4TB

Western Digital RED 4TB

What are my options for redundant storage when I put the seagate drive in UNRAID?

The 18tb must be the parity drive if you want all 5 drives to be in the array. It is not very efficient but leaves you tons of room for growth (if the Seagate doesn't fail). If you are starting with 4+4+4 +8tb (must be the parity), then when you are ready to add the 18tb, swap that to be the Parity drive and it will re-build.

The other option is to have an array with only 4+4+4 data and 8tb parity, keeping the 18tb as unassigned device (ZERO redundancy). I suggest you watch spaceinvader one videos on youtube - start with how the parity drive(s) work and things will clear up a bit.

NOTE: I am also learning at the moment, about a month ahead of you.

On 2/18/2022 at 5:21 PM, OrdinaryButt said:

The 18tb must be the parity drive if you want all 5 drives to be in the array. It is not very efficient but leaves you tons of room for growth (if the Seagate doesn't fail). If you are starting with 4+4+4 +8tb (must be the parity), then when you are ready to add the 18tb, swap that to be the Parity drive and it will re-build.

The other option is to have an array with only 4+4+4 data and 8tb parity, keeping the 18tb as unassigned device (ZERO redundancy). I suggest you watch spaceinvader one videos on youtube - start with how the parity drive(s) work and things will clear up a bit.

NOTE: I am also learning at the moment, about a month ahead of you.

For the time being, I just want to use it as network drive, but how do I add a share to it? UD I thought made it possible but I can't mount the drive. 

42 minutes ago, Pstark said:

For the time being, I just want to use it as network drive, but how do I add a share to it? UD I thought made it possible but I can't mount the drive. 

If I understand you correctly, you want to share a single drive that isn't part of the array:

Go to Main tab

Find your drive under "Unassigned devices"

Click Mount next to it/it's volume

Click on the triple gear icon on the right side

Toggle Share on this page

Hope that helps.

3 hours ago, OrdinaryButt said:

If I understand you correctly, you want to share a single drive that isn't part of the array:

Go to Main tab

Find your drive under "Unassigned devices"

Click Mount next to it/it's volume

Click on the triple gear icon on the right side

Toggle Share on this page

Hope that helps.

I made it that far on my own. But when I add a share, the new drive isn't listed.