Can I downgrade from 6.10rc2 to 6.9.2 without much pain (e.g. parity rebuilds, etc)?

BurntOC
Go to solution Solved by Squid,

I have two Unraid servers and both were humming along awesomely on 6.9.2.  Normally I wouldn't go to a non-stable release, but the slow release pace of Unraid (still love it!) prompted me to do it based on kernel, security, and other changes.  On one server it seemed to go fine.  The other, too, until I fired up my gaming VM and bluetooth suddenly no longer worked.  I messed with vfio and screwed up my server so I decided to rebuild that one.  That's when I started noticing other issues (for which I have 2 bug reports open already for issues affecting both the upgraded and rebuilt servers - both related to certificate handling).  

When I reinstalled Unraid I took an unassigned devices appdata drive I had and moved it to a 2nd cache pool, then I reinstalled my containers and pointed them to that location.  That was the only change, but I'm guessing that array change is what has prompted Unraid to do a parity rebuild - even though my data drives were unchanged and in the same slots.  Anyway, now I'm having problems with vfio and passthrough and my gaming VM again, and I no longer see my motherboard's integrated Intel bluetooth even showing up. 

Now I'm really thinking I jumped the gun here.  Since 6.9.2 supports multiple cache pools, could I just reinstall 6.9.2 somehow without having to do another parity rebuild or re-doing the tedious changes I made to my 25 containers to point them to the right place?  I can't revert because it was a rebuild and not an upgrade.  

58 minutes ago, AndrewZ said:

Is there a forum posting detailing what issues you were having?

Not this specific one.  I wanted to get the server and VM back running again to make absolutely sure it didn't somehow show up on the VM list before I reported that one.  The cert-related ones are in Pre-release bug reports.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Tools - Update OS, restore previous version.  Nothing has particularly changed

Will that just restore the OS or will it revert my 2nd cache pool drive back to Unassigned Devices?  It also looks like I could toggle Next to Stable, maybe if that would be a problem with the former this other option would work?

image.thumb.png.4997778273e415755c57117d41191883.png

Edited by BurntOC

It restores the OS and doesn't touch any config file at all.  AFAIK there's no problems with the cache pools on a reversion from 6.10 to 6.9  Worst case scenario is that you reassign the pools.

The only issue I can see is if you were using ipvlan instead of macvlan on docker containers as ipvlan doesn't exist on 6.9

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

It restores the OS and doesn't touch any config file at all.  AFAIK there's no problems with the cache pools on a reversion from 6.10 to 6.9  Worst case scenario is that you reassign the pools.

The only issue I can see is if you were using ipvlan instead of macvlan on docker containers as ipvlan doesn't exist on 6.9

Sorry to be dense, Squid - I just want to ensure I'm absolutely clear.  The option you're referring to is the bottom one (Restore) or the toggle from Next to Stable?  

P.S.  Love the new avatar.  I need to add one later today, too.