Disabled Drive w/ Diagnostics - unBalance move to freed drive?

Had a drive fail and get disabled.

While I personally think it's probably a cable problem, I've learned to not shut down UnRAID right away and fuddle, as I want to get the data off before the drive and another drive fails with it (happened once.. that sucked..)

So now, I'm running here with my diagnostic logs hoping somebody can jump in and see if they can find something I'm not seeing.

I'm okay tossing out disk4 in my array, disk5 has lots of open space and I have a 4TB drive that just passed pre clear that I plan on throwing back into the array when this fiasco is resolved.

I've also shut down all dockers, and stopped mover and any other auto-run plugins for the time-being as I was getting ready to use unBalance to move all disk4 onto disk5, until the attached message cropped up.

"There are some permission issues with the folders/files you want to transfer

331 file(s)/folder(s) with an owner other than 'nobody'

329 file(s)/folder(s) with a group other than 'users'

0 folder(s) with a permission other than 'drwxrwxrwx'

540 files(s) with a permission other than '-rw-rw-rw-' or '-r--r--r--'

You can find more details about which files have issues in the log file (/boot/logs/unbalance.log)

At this point, you can transfer the folders/files if you want, but be advised that it can cause errors in the operation

You are STRONGLY suggested to install the Fix Common Problems plugin, then run the Docker Safe New Permissions command"

This is a new one for me so looking for some insight here.

Should I go ahead and run the Tools > New Permissions command on all disks and shares, or just disk5? (disk4 doesn't show)

Diagnostics attached, drive failed on March 6th at 4:59pm PST

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.48.31 AM.png

hoangserver-diagnostics-20220309-0100.zip

Should I still move data, or just shut the server down, check connections, upgrade firmware and let parity emulate data still?

If I still rebuild (by taking the drive out, moving contents to disk5), would I run the new permissions on all disks and all shares, or thinking not needed here?

Moving the data seems unnecessary to me, though should already have backups of anything important, I would just rebuild, you can also use a spare disk if you have and keep the old one intact in case something goes wrong.

New permissions won't hurt, as long as there's no appdata on those disks, if there is run the docker safe new permission from the FCP plugin.

Understood, so bring down the array, rip open and replace cables (as needed) and rebuild parity after I tell UnRAID that the drive is in fine shape.

I did use the cheap(er) Amazon splitters from molex -> SATA (not the cheapest ones that cause fires).

Any recommendations here for those LSI SAS and power cables? Maybe it's time I fix these bugs once and for all with quality components.

Is the absolute latest version firmware for the LSI cards fine, or should I backdate?

Edited by rawfuls

The rebuild was successful and the data seems to be intact, however Docker is unable to start.

Service seems to be enabled on the settings side.

EDIT: Maybe I jumped the gun here. Disabling Docker then re-enabling seems to have gotten the service to start.

Edited by rawfuls
  • Like 1