Need help on best spend $ upgrade options?

casperse

Hi All

I really need some help in what the best cause of action would be when upgrading my Unraid server?

1. Upgrade existing Unraid server with a new CPU and or just RAM (+ECC)
    1. RAM upgrade 4 x CT32G4RFD4266 (128G) - This would be the best kit right?
    2. CPU upgrade (Socket:FCLGA1151) Xeon-E-2278G or Xeon-E-2288G (8 Cores)
  2. "New Server" - MB, CPU, RAM, COOLER
    1. Wait? everyone talks about DDR5 support and new CPU´s coming?
    2. The new Xeon E- CPU's would require new MB and socket LINK 
    3. Haven't found any BIG SIZE MB for above new CPU's - anyone have a recommended MB? (20x Lanes sounds nice!)

EXISTING HW/SERVER:
CPU: Intel’s Xeon E-2176G socket:FCLGA1151
Cooler: CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U9S
RAM: Crucial - DDR4 - 4x16 GB ECC DIMM 288-PIN -2666 MHz PC4-21300 -CL19 (CT16G4WFD8266)
MB: Gigabyte C246-WU4 (10 sata)
Controller: LSI Logic SAS 9305-24i Host Bus Adapter - x8, PCIe 3.0, 8000 MB/s
Case: Norco RPC-4224 4U (24 bays + 2 internal drives)
NIC: Intel Pro 1000 VT Quad Port NIC (EXPI9404VTG1P20)
NIC: Intel i350-T4 4x 1GbE Quad Port Network LAN Ethernet PCIe x4 OEM Controller card (I350T4V2BLK)
GPU: Quadro P2000
NVme: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Some background:

I Build my first Unraid server around 4 years ago org post here: LINK

I was inspired by the build done by @Tybio end the new Intel’s Xeon E-2176G CPU's -  that at the time was very hard to get

But now I am getting out of memory warnings! and I could need more cores for VM's running Windows for school work and my 40 dockers

a Minecraft server + Home assistant VM and of course PLEX and so much more!

Even my Cache drive could need an upgrade but so far moving non critical things have provided enough space to just run the Mover once a day!

I assume that more people are in the same situation like me 🙂 and I would really like to hear what you are doing?

Electricity cost is getting higher so having everything running on the same server is nice and I have accepted the risk

also so far its been rock solid no major problems in 4 years!

Having previously owned a Synology I got 2 replacements from them over a period of 2 years!

As always your input and opinions is much appriciated

Thanks!

Edited by casperse

So looking at options to upgrade my RAM and "future proof" them I was thinking if it was possible to buy these 3200 and use them as  DDR4 2666MHz?

Looking at the MB I can see that a BIOS upgrade would support 128G Ram!

C246-WU4 (rev. 1.0):

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/C246-WU4-rev-10#kf

(The official supported RAM list has not been updated for a long time)

But I am not sure that 2 x 64G would work? or would it only support 4 x 32G?

I found these RAM with ECC

image.thumb.png.af4722182520744da54e878f5945da82.png

My thinking would be that in the future with another motherboard I could "just" upgrade with additional 2 x 64G and get the full 256G Ram?

Any thoughts?

Also would the best value for money cpu upgrade if I want 8 cores?

Sofar many people talk about the E-2288G? or the E-2278G?

Intel® Product Specification Comparison

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=193745,193743

19 minutes ago, casperse said:

buy these 3200 and use them as  DDR4 2666MHz?

You can, but non-XMP usually in 2133, you need manual set to 2666.

19 minutes ago, casperse said:

"future proof"

If upgrade both RAM and CPU, I would wait a new gen DDR5 platform.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, Vr2Io said:

You can, but non-XMP usually in 2133, you need manual set to 2666.

If upgrade both RAM and CPU, I would wait a new gen DDR5 platform.

Thanks I finally found the right RAM as the supported ones but in 32G modules

image.png.c6f8cd30d678b407322c3400a748e9d5.png

Seems that the Crusial RAM for servers anyway with ECC is now named Micron

So I can do the upgrade with what should be supported RAM

This new gen DDR5 would that be Intel Xeon? I havent seen anything on this, so it could be a very long time before we get this?

I have some very BAD memory problems:  

So I cancelled my order for the 128G RAM ECC and are now looking to upgrade CPU/RAM/MB

Guess we are waiting for the battle between: AMD Ryzen 7000 vs Intel's Xeon chips based on Alder Lake with up to 16 cores and a range of TDPs (35W, 65W, and 125W at the top end) ? or are we waiting for something else? 🙂

How about below one 😬

If ignore future proof, then existing HDET platform ( AMD / Intel ) also fine, double RAM slot and more PCIe lane and you can reuse existing memory.

I have 1920x, 1700 9800x .... and other different CPU, all is DDR4 ( non-ecc ), so I have flexibility to swap same memory module between them, I will last those at least 5yrs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Vr2lo

I really want to keep using ECC RAM but I would like to get the 3200 for the EPYC looks like the power usage is better vs performance

image.thumb.png.05d04b48ec9d656ad8e8c43b215f4107.png

My list so far:

• Power usage acceptable (OLD CPU TDP 80W - new EPYC one 155W-180W?)
  • CPU Benchmark single thread minum 2000
  • 10G bit LAN (2x10G)
  • 7 x PCI slots - 128 lanes
  • ECC !!!! - Min. 128G RAM 4-8 channel possibility to upgrade to MB: 256G Ram
  • CPU Xeon 12 Cores 5 gen or AMD EPYC 16-24 cores?
  • CPU air cooling 4U server rack
  • Bifurcation motherboard
  • Intel GVT-g (Only Intel?)
  • Thunderbolt support
  • USB-C
  • Remote Management (IPMI)

I  think this would be a viable solution for a new Unraid server next 5 year

1. ASRock ROMED8-2T
  2. CPU: AMD EPYC 7313 Benchmark: 40575 Single thread: 2610 (I would like to keep the existing single thread performance = Intel’s Xeon E-2176G)
  3. Memory: 128 GB Registered ECC RDIMMs (4x32 GB) Kingston KSM32RD4/32MEI @ 3200Mhz (Per Memory QVL)
  4. CPU cooler Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 (Should fit my existing Norco RPC-4224 4U)

I have read that Bios and the configuration of this board could be a challenge but that it works well with Unraid?

Anyone who is running Unraid with this MB and a EPYC CPU?

Edited by casperse
  • 2 months later...

I updated with a response in my thread (again, apologies for the wait!), but figured I'd check in here as well -

The biggest 'boon' to choosing epyc over TR pro is the wealth of motherboard options out there (imo) - the market for epyc is so much bigger that you'll never lack for MB options, available in every shape and size. Lots of niche needs can be filled that way - need a mini-ITX motherboard to fit in a tiny box? Epyc's got em. Dual processor 16 DIMM behemoth? Epyc's the way. Need a specific NIC chipset onboard? You'll probably find one on an epyc MB by some vendor "somewhere".

However, I feel that's the only real benefit to it, at least personally... If any of the sWRX80 MB's suit your needs, I feel like TR Pro is the way to go. You get onboard audio (specific review of the audio can be found here, at least for all wrx80 boards minus the newer MSI unit), usually better IO / peripheral connectivity, and generally a better likelihood of the board's individual components/chipsets being tested with 'consumer applications / hardware'. Since they're workstation boards, they're more likely to be tested with components we (as home users) might consider 'normal use' (consumer graphics cards, etc).

Essentially you get the best of both worlds - ECC memory, IPMI, loads of memory channels and PCIe lanes (from the server side), along with all the things one would expect when building a computer for themselves these days (onboard audio, bunch of USB ports, etc).

Some other points -

• You might check out some other cooler options - since you're in the 4u rackmount space, might check out dynatron or supermicro's units.
  • There's definitely a price gap between the 16GB and 32GB DIMMS, at least on the second-hand market. I've no problems buying used memory personally, and have seen 16GB sticks go for as little as $2.80-3/GB on various swaps and the like, while 32GB DIMMs seem to typically stay closer to the $5-6/GB range. With 8 channels, you can get your 128GB with 16GB DIMMs, and maybe save some $$$ if you're patient
  • The 'TDP' values listed for TR Pro are all just nonsense imo - I don't think they ever tested them individually, instead opting for "well, this socket supports 280w, so everything's 280w". Consider the listed TDP as the 'worst case scenario'.
  • If you're looking to make it through the next 5+ years, I'd ditch the norco at some point. When they work, they seem to be great. But as the company's dead (along with all the nightmare scenarios I've come across from other users), I'd replace it before it dies; sell it off, and use the recouperated $ to help fund a different chassis from a vendor that's still operational. I obviously tend toward supermicro, as all their stuff is practically lego-like... I still have the first chassis I ever bought from them over 10 years ago, as I just upgraded the backplane from what it came with [3Gb/s SATA] to a 12Gb/s SAS unit, and it's still happily chugging along. But Chenbro, Asus, and several others are options as well.

Just my .02 - best of luck with the build, and keep us posted if you would!

• Like 1