[SOLVED] HDMI losing signal with VM on odd occasions

z0ki
Go to solution Solved by z0ki,

I've got my Win10 VM working (finally) with GPU passthrough, but I am finding that on the odd occasion that I will lose HDMI signal and nothing I do will get it back (even a server reboot)

For instance when I turned on HDR in Windows the screen went black but then I get shown a No signal message. I got a HDMI cable connected to my LG C9 OLED - and works brilliantly when it does but its just this niggling issue that is hampering my experience. 

Logs do not show any faults either on the VM/Server side. Is this something that is a common occurrence? Anyone know of a fix?

Edited by z0ki
  • Solution

So this is embarrassing. 

The issue was the HDMI cable is not a HDMI 2.1 or (2.0 i believe) hence I was losing signal. Tested with a known HDMI 2.1 cable and viola! Picture.

I been ripping my hair out over this for days thinking something in my VM or an issue with GPU passthrough has been happening but nope. Just my idiocy lol.

• Like 1
  • z0ki changed the title to [SOLVED] HDMI losing signal with VM on odd occasions
2 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Don't be so rude with yourself :D

Failures due to cables are difficult to see, especially if they look good from the outside, one should always have spare cables (I don't) to try.

Haha i know right. I didn't even think it could be the HDMI cable and something just clicked to me that said hang on might be the cable that can't output HDR to a 4K res. 

Simple fix in the end but wish I saw this before i got more grey hair 😋

• Haha 1