Solved: New user: Help with Unmenu PKG Manager

Gunner

I am Noob!  I just received a prebuilt and configured server (ver 1.7 pro) from a senior member here.  It came configured with Unmenu version 1.4 rev 23.  I'm having a few issues but just want to deal with one here.  BTW I appreciate that this free software so any help is appreciated and I'll do my best to workthrough troubleshooting.  

I'm trying to install the APC package via Unmenu PKG Manager.  When I navigate to the APC page via the "select" option and then attempt to download--->this is exactly what I see in my browser:

e

</BODY></HTML>

Here is the message on the Unmenu Sys Log:

May 7 15:07:50 Tower unmenu[1695]: gawk: /boot/unmenu/990-unmenu-wget.awk:1072: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/0/linuxpackages.cs.utah.edu/80' for input/output (No such file or directory) (Drive related)

BTW I am running my server using a fixed IP address to help my Mac connect over my local internet.  

Thanks

I am Noob!  I just received a prebuilt and configured server (ver 1.7 pro) from a senior member here.  It came configured with Unmenu version 1.4 rev 23.  I'm having a few issues but just want to deal with one here.  BTW I appreciate that this free software so any help is appreciated and I'll do my best to workthrough troubleshooting. 

I'm trying to install the APC package via Unmenu PKG Manager.  When I navigate to the APC page via the "select" option and then attempt to download--->this is exactly what I see in my browser:

e

</BODY></HTML>

Here is the message on the Unmenu Sys Log:

May 7 15:07:50 Tower unmenu[1695]: gawk: /boot/unmenu/990-unmenu-wget.awk:1072: fatal: can't open two way socket `/inet/tcp/0/linuxpackages.cs.utah.edu/80' for input/output (No such file or directory) (Drive related)

BTW I am running my server using a fixed IP address to help my Mac connect over my local internet. 

Thanks

"awk" is unable to catch "fatal" errors.  That is why you are seeing the empty "e<BODY>...0"

This is usually cause when you either do NOT have a DNS server defined on your unRAID array or have not defined a network gateway. 

(has nothing to do with fixed IP address)

What happens if on the command line you type:

ping -c 5 google.com

what happens when you type

net lookup linuxpackages.cs.utah.edu

When I request to check for updates to Unmenu this is the error message I receive:

Unable to connect to googlecode.com from your server.

You must have a DNS Nameserver and Gateway defined in your unRAID setup before you can continue..

For most people, these are both set to the IP address of your router

This is what I have in my network setting: MAC address: 00:25:90:35:B6:A8

Obtain IP Address Automatically: NO

IP Address: ***.***.*.***

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically: Greyed out no

DNS Server 1: 192.168.0.1

DNS Server 2:

DNS Server 3:

Thanks

When I request to check for updates to Unmenu this is the error message I receive:

Unable to connect to googlecode.com from your server.

You must have a DNS Nameserver and Gateway defined in your unRAID setup before you can continue..

For most people, these are both set to the IP address of your router

This is what I have in my network setting: MAC address: 00:25:90:35:B6:A8

Obtain IP Address Automatically: NO

IP Address: ***.***.*.***

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically: Greyed out no

DNS Server 1: 192.168.0.1

DNS Server 2:

DNS Server 3:

Thanks

You did neither of the commands I requested, but the issue is the same:  You do not have network connectivity to the outside world.

Fix the issue, and you'll be able to use the package-manager. Until you resolve that, you will not be able to use the package manager to download packages.

First thing I'd check is if 192.168.0.1 is your router's IP address.  Then, go from there.  If it is not acting to forward DNS requests, you might need to add those.

Try 8.8.8.8 as DNS server 2.

Joe L.

You did neither of the commands I requested, but the issue is the same:  You do not have network connectivity to the outside world.

Fix the issue, and you'll be able to use the package-manager. Until you resolve that, you will not be able to use the package manager to download packages.

First thing I'd check is if 192.168.0.1 is your router's IP address.  Then, go from there.  If it is not acting to forward DNS requests, you might need to add those.

Joe L.

Thanks for the help.  For some reason unknown I awoke to find an email telling me everything was fine with my server (unraid status alert PKG).  So I then checked and was able to instal the APC and clean power modules.  It is strange because I didn't change any settings from yesterday?  I suppose the router has "kicked" in somehow....hopefully this is and enduring phenomenon.

The reason I provided the alternative information was that I'm not sure how to send commands from my unraid box....yet.  I'm a complete noob, the unraid box is new, and the WIKI is huge.  I presume I have to telnet in from my mac?   So much too learn....

:)

You did neither of the commands I requested, but the issue is the same:  You do not have network connectivity to the outside world.

First thing I'd check is if 192.168.0.1 is your router's IP address.  Then, go from there.  If it is not acting to forward DNS requests, you might need to add those.

Joe L.

Thanks for the help.  For some reason unknown I awoke to find an email telling me everything was fine with my server (unraid status alert PKG).  So I then checked and was able to instal the APC and clean power modules.  It is strange because I didn't change any settings from yesterday?  I suppose the router has "kicked" in somehow....hopefully this is and enduring phenomenon.

The reason I provided the alternative information was that I'm not sure how to send commands from my unraid box....yet.  I'm a complete noob, the unraid box is new, and the WIKI is huge.  I presume I have to telnet in from my mac?   So much too learn....

:)

To telnet in from your mac...

Just do this...assuming your server is still "tower"

1. Open Terminal

2. type "telnet tower"

3. Hit Enter

4. You're logged in

5. If it doesn't log you in, you might have to type "telnet tower 23" as 23 is the default telnet port...

You'll need to enter "telnet ip.address.of.server"

From Putty I have to use the IP address...

But straight from terminal on my MAC it connects fine with "tower"

Thanks...I was also able to telnet in using tower.

Archived