Kernel Panic error, sudden shutdowns

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

So far i've had a few shutdowns, and I can't seem to keep my system running very long. I just recently got it working by updating the BMC on the mobo, but even that fell flat, I got a SMART error message for two of my drives and then ran a SMART test, but it said they both passed. But as I was running Parity the number of errors kept climbing and the Unraid webpage became unresponsive. Using IPMI I was able to see the error on the server itself, I provided a screenshot below. 

I presume this is due to one of my SAS connectors/cables failing? At least I hope so, so I can just replace the board. It's an AsRock E3C224D4I-14S, with a built in LSI 2308

I was able to download one SMART report and anonymized diagnostics before it stopped working.

image.thumb.png.1b44748700549375b211b64559cb956e.png

ST8000VN004-SMART.txt

syslog.txt

Edited by Varean
adding file
  • Solution
Apr  6 19:00:28 SkyNet kernel: mpt2sas_cm0 fault info from func: _base_make_ioc_ready
Apr  6 19:00:28 SkyNet kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: fault_state(0x6003)!
Apr  6 19:00:28 SkyNet kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: sending diag reset !!

Diags show multiple issues with the HBA like above, make sure it's well seated and sufficiently cooled, you can also try a different PCIe slot if available

58 minutes ago, JorgeB said:
Apr  6 19:00:28 SkyNet kernel: mpt2sas_cm0 fault info from func: _base_make_ioc_ready
Apr  6 19:00:28 SkyNet kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: fault_state(0x6003)!
Apr  6 19:00:28 SkyNet kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: sending diag reset !!

Diags show multiple issues with the HBA like above, make sure it's well seated and sufficiently cooled, you can also try a different PCIe slot if available

This isn't a separate HBA card unfortunately, it's built into the MOBO. I'll reseat the drives and SAS breakout cables on top of the cooling you suggested, and research how to either update the firmware on the SAS chip, or use this as my sign to pull the trigger on my hardware upgrade.

I definitely appreciate the help.