USB Boot issue - Need to move usb key each reboot

So, I have this strange problem with my Unraid box where the reboot always fails and gives some concerning errors.

I was sure that changing the USB port would fix the errors; but this time when I tried to get a screen shot of the errors it wouldn't work.

Only after putting the key in my other computer to scan for errors (found none) and putting it back would it boot again.  So maybe it's related to powering down the computer for a length of time!?

My question is this; could this be a USB issue or a motherboard type issue?  I have turned off FASTBOOT which sounded reasonable from a previous post from someone else but obviously that isn't working for me.

My motherboard is a gigabyte Z590 AORUS ELITE with latest BIOS (F6a) and the USB Key is a 32 GB Samsung Flash Drive FIT.

Sorry for the screen shots, but I didn't know how to capture the log since it never completes a boot.

image.thumb.png.a6cc9d0489572f9f7018186d90262d13.png

Untitled.thumb.jpg.35361999e691034154740184281a039a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A new piece of information....

I changed out my cache drive (SSD to NVME) and was able to reboot the PC without moving the USB key!?

So extended off periods seem to make a difference.   

Is there a way to transfer to another USB key for testing to see if it is the USB key is causing the issue without blacklisting that one?  

Been playing around with this more and it seems to be getting harder to restart!?   I also tried clearing CMOS to see if that helps.  Tried scanning / repair USB key in case there were issues and none found.

Lastly I decided to create backup of USB with Unraid and rebuild a new USB key and try that.

I know it won't start the array but I couldn't even get close to that far when it was failing. 

So now It seems to have no issues loading back into the web UI consistently.   But I have a bunch of new weird errors on the console as it is booting and I can't find them in the syslog.

I have a photo of them and the diagnostics attached.   For reference the MACHINE ERRORS were always happening before as well, that isn't new.   

So far original USB seems incompatible with UNRAID and the new one is giving me some concerns that might be nothing.

Any insight would be appreciated.

image.png

tower-diagnostics-20220418-1415.zip

This seems to be a story that doesn't end.   So on a whim I tried doing a check-disk in windows on the USB key (Kingston DataTraveller 100 G3 16GB) and in the USB 3 port it gave me a "unable to repair", so I plugged it into a USB 2 port (i think) and it went through without issue.

So I tried a new USB Kingston Datatraveller Elite and now no issues as far as I can tell.

OMG usb key issues..