PCI vs PCI-e Gigabit Ethernet

dangil

Hi There

Is there a significant difference between PCI or PCI-E gigabit ethernet controllers ?

for example,

Marvell88E8056® PCI-E LAN controllers

vs

RealtekRTL8110SC® PCI LAN controller

The reason I as this is that currently I am using the Marvell one, but I hear that they are problematic with unraid, is that really so?

If I switch to the Realtek one will I see any performance impact regarding its PCI bus? I don't have any other devices on the PCI bus

I am running 5.0Beta6a

thanks

I've heard PCI is adequate.  I'd stay away from Realtek currently, I'm not sure if that specific model is an issue, but the one on my Mobo and others has created various problems with unRAID.  Appears to be an out of date driver, but I'd check out the Intel PRO GT (which is what I just ordered--and others have also)

The issues tend to be with driver/kernel support and the network cards. Unfortunately most linux stuff rates lower in importance.

Just get an intel GB pro network card. You can get cheapies from overseas and they work the best and aren't that much more expensive.

Josh

I don't think so. The slowest PCI was 32bits at 33MHz or 133 MB/s.

a gigabit controller will saturate the PCI bus.

Theoretically gigabit tops out at 125MB/s

Gigabit on a good switch tops out at 110MB/s.

not sure what you can use the last 7-23 MB/s for....