Docker utilization high

Good day all. I keep getting "docker utilization high" MSG. I Googled and found a few threads on the unraid website, but at least for me, they were hard to follow. I noticed someone just said to increase the docker size limit and that will go away. I can probably find a way to do it and that would be that, but I really want to understand why its so high so that I can try and maybe prevent it if its unnecessary stuff that can be delete. According to moderator on the unraid forums (cant remember their name), a size over 20GB (or something like that) should just not happen. If it does, something is wrong.

I found this command ``docker ps -a`` (IMG1) and see that the sizes might be OK. 

Then I found this one ``du -h -d 1 /var/lib/docker/`` (IMG2) and noticed btrfs and docker were at 100GB, but from some other posts, it says that probably the size I give to my dockers image and I shouldn't worry about that. However, I see others output for the same command and they have different sizes for btrfs and dockers, so now I am just confused again.

Since I cant seem to figure out what to do. Does anyone recommend just changing the docker size from 125.8GB (not sure if that's the size I have now but I think so) (IMG3) and calling it a day? I prefer and I know it would be beneficial to try and figure out why its so high as maybe it shouldn't be?

I got help at the Data Hoarding discord, but was told to ask here as he was just not sure what the issues was. He helped me gather some more information though. I used ``docker system df`` and it shows not a lot of space being used (IMG4). We also looked at the logs to see if that was causing the large space usage, used this command ``du -ah /var/lib/docker/containers/ | grep -v "/$" | sort -rh | head -60``, but I don't think so as most logs were under 50MB  (IMG5) . I also found that I can check the container size right in the docker tab and it seems to look fine. There was a high number in Writable from Sonarr, I assume that is not good, but its still not 100GB (IMG6), maybe someone can tell me how to lower that if I really have to?

I also found that this directory, ``lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes`` has a bunch of large folders, 340 folders to be exact. I do not know what this directory is used for nor do I know what is in it and if I need it or not. I was able to find some large folders/files (not sure what output this is but IMG7 shows it) with command ``du -ah /lib/docker/btrfs/subvolumes | sort -n -r | head -n 50``. 

I know this was a long MSG but I wanted to explain everything I have tried so far. Ill take any help and any suggestion. THANKS!

F0F95D1D-AB49-4F77-B907-4020FFA5D087.png

4EDFC9D1-82F4-4B09-B0E5-07287575A464.png

BD85B6A9-266A-481A-B622-7E601CA903FA.png

D4CEE6EA-F59B-4C9B-8BDC-FF60B30A1FB5.png

90BE36A2-C728-4D29-AE7E-6512270C7C54.png

1C0F7DDF-6CAB-4FAE-8399-671B0ACCE72F.png

9DDCB37B-2155-41C0-A4DB-A2BB53613564.png

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...