All transfers via FTP/SMB/HTTP/iperf from any client to UNRAID capped at 10MB/s. Internet to Unraid (Usenet/P2P) is full gigabit speeds.

Hey,

(warning: sorry for mixing MB/s and Mbps, just didn't want to do a wrong conversion anywhere so I'm just using whatever the product is reporting. Ie if it says 100MB/s I'm not converting that to Mbps, and vice-versa!) 

I've been testing this extensively. I've transferred files from my laptop (wifi) and desktop (2.5G) to my unraid server on the same internal network, on the same switch, on different switches, on the same vLAN, on different vlans, over the built in WireGuard VPN, any networking change I could do I made. I always get a max of 10MB/s. The eth0/eth1 adaptors on unraid are full gigabit duplex connections. On any P2P/wget/usenet connection on the unraid server gets the full gigabit connection speeds on both up and downloads. I have a network speed tracking docker setup and both upload/download on the server has never dropped below 600Mbps. Even Plex transfers max out at ~80-100MB/s upload when people are streaming 4k content.

I've transferred files from laptop/desktop -> unraid and unraid -> laptop/desktop and I always get 10MB/s. Doesn't matter protocol: sFTP transfers, SMB transfers (both Windows and OSX), HTTPs via docker containers (even simple a nginx docker container hosting a test 1GB file), and even iperf3 bidirectional is 10MB/s. Removing Unraid from the equation even on two wifi devices I get over 400Mbps device-to-device (two S22's iperf3)

This really sucks when I'm trying to transfer large pictures/videos from my desktop to my server for backing up purposes.

Sys Info:

Unraid Version: 6.9.2 

Supermicro X9DRi-LN4+/X9DR3-LN4+, Version REV:1.10
Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2630 x2

80GB of ECC RAM

4x 1GB ethernet ports, 2x connected w/ cat6A to new Unifi equipment. Both switch + Unraid showing 1Gb connection.

Attaching diagnostics as well.

Thank you for everyone for taking a look!

(This was happening on an old system too. I transferred to a new supermicro chassis which had existing hardware. On my old motherboard it did the same thing. So i highly doubt it is hardware based... has to be some weird config issue somewhere..)

mk4alpha-diagnostics-20220520-2111.zip

If iperf3 is only giving 10MB/s then it definitely looks like a network issue.  However quite what it could be is not clear from your description.    In the past when this has come up it has always been due to a link running at 100 Mb/s for some reason (bad port, bad cable etc).

It can't be network connections. Everything else aside from local file transfers to the array gives me 100MB/s. Downloads using wget, usenet, p2p, etc. Just transferring files to the server locally is giving me slow speeds. All external connections are using my full connection bandwidth

5 minutes ago, Blaze9 said:

It can't be network connections. Everything else aside from local file transfers to the array gives me 100MB/s. Downloads using wget, usenet, p2p, etc. Just transferring files to the server locally is giving me slow speeds. All external connections are using my full connection bandwidth

Except for the fact that even iperf3 is only getting 10MB/s so it has nothing to do with the speed of reading/writing to the drives.   Something somewhere on the network is limiting the speed.   However since you mention services running on Unraid are getting 100MB/s it also does not sound like something at the Unraid end either :( 

I must admit I am puzzled because you seem to have checked all the obvious candidates without finding a culprit :( 

Just now, itimpi said:

Except for the fact that even iperf3 is only getting 10MB/s so it has nothing to do with the speed of reading/writing to the drives.   Something somewhere on the network is limiting the speed.   However since you mention services running on Unraid are getting 100MB/s it also does not sound like something at the Unraid end either :( 

I must admit I am puzzled because you seem to have checked all the obvious candidates without finding a culprit :( 

Yes, sorry I mean literally just local connections to the server are giving me 10MB/s. If I host a file on nginx and try downloading on a remote network (wifi at friends, or mobile network) it works fine and gives me a fairly fast speed. This has been puzzling me for literally 2-3 years! =(