Share Allocation, Fill-up is not working as I expected.

I have a media share across two disks:  Disk 2 at 3tb and Disk 4 at 6tb

I have used unbalance to move everything from the 3tb drive to the 6tb drive which is now has 1tb of space left. I have set the share allocation method to fill-up and the minimum free space to 10gb (also tried 0kb)

Whenever I add new content it goes to the 3tb disk, I have to use unbalance again to move a second time.

I dont want move disks spinning than needed. This is something I looked into on this forum but didn’t find a clear answer. The help would seem to suggest 'Fill-Up' fills the disk with the least space, but it might also meand the disk that first in the array. ‘Fill-up Choose the lowest numbered disk that still has free space above the current Minimum free space setting.’

TLDR: Should new content not just go to disk 4? Is it an issue with the disk order?

9 minutes ago, JKY said:

I see... I thought four levels would help keep files and subfolders together.

It does, but you can either have them together or use the disk you want.

9 minutes ago, JKY said:

Should I change it to one level? or have not split at all?

There's no right or wrong answer, it just depends on what you want to accomplish.

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

There's no right or wrong answer, it just depends on what you want to accomplish.

Thank you for yor help here.

I want to fill up the disk with the least space. I changed the split level to: Manual Do Not Auot Split.

Should that tecnialy do what I am lookingf for?  Beucase, I just tried again and the files are still going to disk 2 and not disk 4 which is aprox 80% full and where I would actualy like the files to be.

12 minutes ago, JKY said:

Thank you for yor help here.

I want to fill up the disk with the least space. I changed the split level to: Manual Do Not Auot Split.

Should that tecnialy do what I am lookingf for?  Beucase, I just tried again and the files are still going to disk 2 and not disk 4 which is aprox 80% full and where I would actualy like the files to be.

You want the Split Level to be set to allow unlimited Split Levels.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 1:49 PM, itimpi said:

With the Fillup allocation method then disk2 will be used until it is full (or free space drops below Minimum Free Space setting) and only then will disk4 start being used.   What behaviour are expecting?

I thought that the disk with the least space would fill up first. I see now the order of the disks is key. 

Would it be easy to reorder the disks, or am in for a world of hurt? 

Edited by JKY
8 minutes ago, JKY said:

I thought that the list with the least space would fill up first.

No, there's also the most free option, that one will write to the disk with most free space, but not usually recommended since it's the worse for performance, writes to parity will overlap when switching disks.