eth0 no Ipv4/network on initial set-up

Go to solution Solved by Vr2Io,

Hi all, 

New to UNRAID. Have spent a few weeks reading-up and about 6 hours today trying to resolve some initial set-up issues to no avail.

My current issue is that I haven't been able to have my NIC recognized so no IP. 

1. After the OS install, I get eth0 does not exist.
  2. No IPv4 or IPv6 ips.
  3. I ran ethtool -i eth0 but get a response : "cannot get driver information: no such device" 
  4. tried switching flash drives (was using OCZ RALLY2 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Model OCZUSBR2DC-8GB then switch to Verbatim 8GB PinStripe USB Flash Drive, still same issue)
  5. tried switching USB ports (USB 2 first then USB 3)
  6. used df command, doesn't look off to me but this is the first time I am looking at it, please confirm
  7. I have DHCP and router has been assigning IPs to other devices with no issues. NIC worked fine in Windows OS. 
  8. booting non-eufi and bios settings are set-up accordingly
  9. note that I have an Nvidia GTX 660 TI (MSI) connected by HDMI. However, After the boot screen and selecting unraid OS and the OS runs screen will eventually go all black (no cursor)  then I have to switch the HDMI cable to my mobo HDMI port to continue with logging in (locally) using root pw. Side-issue but please let me know if there is any easy fix - assume need to install driver. 
  10. please see attached logs
  11. please see list of hardware as follows: 
    1. CPU: Intel Core i5-3470
    2. Mobo: Asrock Extreme6 Z77
      1. understand has a Broadcom BCM57781 NIC based on manual - is this supported? Couldn't figure out. If not, where is list of supported NICs and I will get an external one via PCI. 
    3. GPU: GTX 660 TI (MSI) 2gb
    4. HDDs: 3x shucked WD elements 14 TB (WD140EDGZ) 
    5. cache drive: 1TB Nvme via PCIe (to be added after building array and initial data transition)
    6. RAM: 16GB ram (to be upgrade to 32GB after building array)
  12. main use to will be to store media. will have a few dockers. No plans for VM at the moment .

Please let me know if I can share anything else with you to make the issue easier to diagnose. 

Thanks all

beastserver-diagnostics-20220527-2029.zip

• Solution

For NIC issue, pls try disable VT-d ( not VT-x ) for tg3 NIC until fix on kernel.

22 hours ago, limetech said:

Data Corruption possible with tg3 driver when Intel VT-d is enabled.

The combination of Linux 5.15 kernel, tg3 driver, and Intel VT-d enabled appears to be causing data corruption.  This has been verified on several platforms which include a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NIC (note: there may be others).  This release includes the following workaround:

You can disable VT-d by command line or set it in BIOS.

Edited by Vr2Io

Unclear for now if all servers using those NICs are affected, mostly have been HP servers for now, but there's also one IBM/Lenovo, you can still use the NIC with vt-d enable, how to is in the release notes, just be aware that until we find exactly what's causing the issue there are some risks.