is there a way to hardcode "hwmonX" for fans so it doesnt keep changing with UD drives

hi 

i was wondering if there is a way to hardcode  Hardware monitor..  like you do for a Retropie at bootup  you set in a textfile your usb drive to like sda1

if i start with hwmon0     and if i pull out a unassigned drive... and reboot    the hardwre monitor will change  from hwmon0  to like hwmon1   or hwmon2    and it will also bugger up the exclude drives   in the dynamix fans plugin..  is there a way to force at bootup

that 

hwmon0   is for Fans  and it never changes no matter how many drives  you add to array  or UD   or when you pull a drive and reboot

as i know for the plugin it screws up when you add a drive to the array... the check boxes are all over the place  its like it doesnt know what each drive is..

same with the sdaX   it changes i guess thats why sometimes the fan speed exclude  drives keeps changing...  cuz they point to  "sdax"  and not to the actual Hard drive UID

but the main issue is if you can force it...  to stay at Hwmon0   cuz if i pull the drive and reboot... then the fans are running full speed.. and now on the fan plugin i gotta do a "Detect"   to find which HwmonX   its on now  0 1 2 and then re save each one... is there anything i can change in the "GO" file ?

Edited by comet424

is there a file in the boot folder i can set  so

say

hwmon0   is always set to 0

and not change  to hwmon1 or hwmon2     if you pull out or add a new hard drive and happen to reboot.. and then the hwmon  keeps randomly changing betweeen 0 and 2

is there like a boot.ini  and you do the "force hwmon#=hwmon0"    something like that?

Edited by comet424

Click on the device designation in UD for the device in question and make a change to the SMART settings and then click 'Apply'.  This will set up disk monitoring by serial number and not devX.  I don't know how hwmon works so I don't know if it will work, but I suspect it will.

ah ok i dont have the drives plugged in  at moment

so say

hwmon0   is set in the sensors or whatever and i have the 2 UD hard drives plugged in..     and when i unmount and remove the drives

and then happen to reboot

hwmon0 now changes to  hwmon1 or hwmon2    and thats when fans all run at 100%

but usually then  when you plug the 2 UD drives back in  and then do another reboot

hwmon1 or hwmon2  will change back to hwmon0    and the fans ramp back down to silent..

@dlandon i dont seem to have device designation...  could you send some pics?   i was wondering there is

for "disk name" from  dev1 2 3 4    it has for my un assigned drives

if i change the disk name from dev1  to the serial number of the drive?

i click also the DEV1   for the 1 usb drive  and looked at all the sub headings but nothing to change smart settings for device designation.. maybe you could send a few screen shots, would help

ok you lost me   under smart  there is no  

"device designation"

cuz you said  "a change to the SMART settings and then click 'Apply'.  This will set up disk monitoring by serial number and not devX."

i dont see "device designation" to click under smart  to hit apply .. and disk monitoring will change  dev2  to like serial number

reason i asked if i just change "disk name" from "dev2 " to the "wdc-xxxxxx"(serial number)  that you have 

cuz under the smart settings you see there is nothing that says "device designation" for me to change  to serial number and not DevX

and none of the 3 "defaults"  have an option of "device desgination"  under drop downs

so i cant selection this device designation option

so i kinda lost 

Edited by comet424
1 hour ago, comet424 said:

ok you lost me   under smart  there is no  

"device designation"

cuz you said  "a change to the SMART settings and then click 'Apply'.  This will set up disk monitoring by serial number and not devX."

i dont see "device designation" to click under smart  to hit apply .. and disk monitoring will change  dev2  to like serial number

reason i asked if i just change "disk name" from "dev2 " to the "wdc-xxxxxx"(serial number)  that you have 

cuz under the smart settings you see there is nothing that says "device designation" for me to change  to serial number and not DevX

and none of the 3 "defaults"  have an option of "device desgination"  under drop downs

so i cant selection this device designation option

so i kinda lost 

Clicking the device designation brings up the SMART page.  Then make a change to any parameter on the SMART page  You can change and then change it back.  The Apply button will be active, then click it.  This will set the monitoring to the serial number.  You don't change the devX here.

oh your talking about the "Device name"    dev1 dev2

not look for the word "device designation" way you wrote it.. i been looking for the word  "device designation" and then i check off a box   so id enable  device designation  over what its doing now   dev1 2 23   or sda sdb sdc

either way didnt work still changes

before i add the hard drive

/sys/devices/platform/nct6775.656/hwmon/hwmon2/fan1_input

its set to hwmon2

when i add the hard drive  and do a reboot

/sys/devices/platform/nct6775.656/hwmon/hwmon0/fan1_input

its now  hwmon0

what i want is everytime    unraid reboots you force  "hwmon" to say  be hwmon0    no matter what you do as many ud or array or cache drives you add

and when i remove the UD drive  how does the monitoring work?  cuz then it goes from  hwmon0   and goes to hwmon2   does the reverse above.

after a reboot

cuz the smart monitoring doesnt apply when the drive isnt pluged in anymore? or does it?

Edited by comet424