VM wont boot after upgrade 6.7 -> 6.10

Upgraded from 6.7 to 6.10 and my VM will not boot with the GFx attached. Boot's fine with VNC

VM in question is named "ubuntu", the other two are old an no longer in active use

As soon as the VM is started the lowest of the assigned CPU cores hits 100% and stays there. If I change the assigned cores to one, that is the one that gets pinned to 100%. In either case all other cores are at 0-1 %

I've left it for a long while (over night) and it never boots. 

Can't see anything in the logs, I've tried various machine types, i440 worked previously, not now, neither does Q35. Also have tried recreating the VM from scratch attaching the old disk image but still wont boot.

Card is AMD RX 570 + Asus Z97 extreme 4 + Intel i5-4570S

edit:

Also tried power down and booting fresh in case the card is not released, did not help

tower-diagnostics-20220615-1847.zip

Edited by dogmatic69
add missing detail

That's a big update, several changes in between, one thing that changed this release is the iommu pass-through mode, unlikely that is the problem but since it's very easy to try, just add iommu.passtrough=0 to syslinux.cfg and reboot:

iommu.passtrough.thumb.JPG.f19db08a10a91c9d2a3932eab1c08853.JPG

If it doesn't help recommend removing the line.

Adding that iommu config did not seem to do anything. I've since retried every possible combination of passthrough i can find.

Also figured I'm in deep so might as well update the bios. No help either.

Latest diagnostics attached with what I believe to be close to original (ubuntu test this time)

> removing the line

Which line? The whole append? The iommu added bit? 

tower-diagnostics-20220615-2211.zip

Completely gave up on unraid and installed ubuntu on a spare disk. After reboot no display!!!

Too much time later I finally find newer kernal changed some amdgpu.dc setting in grub and turning back to the old value results in a working-ish display.

Will potentially retry unraid but been thinking of switching back to direct hardware and maybe building a seperate raid box