(Solved) How do I choose which NIC unRAID uses?

Trymor

Do any of you have multiple nics in your box?  In my testing, I have had unRAID grab different nics on different boots.  I have a Tyan board with 2 built in 10/100 ports, and a PCI realtek GigE card.  One time unRAID grabbed the GigE card, but now it seems to want to grab one of the 10/100 ports all of the time.  I have the built-in motherboard ethernet disabled in BIOS, but Linux doesn't seem to care about that.  I have tried booting up with the cable in different ports, and can't reproduce the GigE card getting chosen.

I have no experience with Tyan boards, but it doesn't sound as if the second onboard NIC has been disabled.  Have you double-checked that?  Is there possibly a BIOS update for the board?  I did find a quote online: 

If you call Tyan, they are very helpful and will provide you with any

information that they have regarding this products and Linux.

Actually UnRAID grabs the first on-board NIC and labels it eth0.  The board is a fairly old dual P3 Tyan Tiger 200 (S2505) with two Intel 82559 10/100 controllers onboard.  It has the last BIOS update available flashed to it.

In my limited experience with Linux, it seems that BIOS can be ignored for deeper control of hardware, but I could be wrong on that.

Sorry for the delay!

Here is the raw output from a root telnet prompt:

root@Tower:~# cat /proc/net/dev

Inter-|  Receive                                                |  Transmit

face |bytes    packets errs drop fifo frame compressed multicast|bytes    packe                                                                                                                                  ts errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed

lo:      0      0    0    0    0    0          0        0        0                                                                                                                                        0    0    0    0    0      0          0

eth0:21224369  235368    0    0    0    0          0        0 519644323  382                                                                                                                                  907    0    0    0    0      0          0

eth1:      0      0    0    0    0    0          0        0        0                                                                                                                                        0    0    0    0    0      0          0

eth2:      0      0    0    0    0    0          0        0        0                                                                                                                                        0    0    0    0    0      0          0

Right now, the cable is plugged in to eth0, and everything works fine at 10/100.  At one point when I was messing around with some other program that I don't remember, the MB ports were labeled eth0 and eth1, while the add-in generic GigE Realtec RTL8169S-32 NIC was labeled something like efx0.

Thank you!

It appears that the other NICs are not completely disabled.  Revisit the BIOS settings, and perhaps toggle them back on, reboot, then go back into the BIOS and set them back off.  You may even want to do a BIOS reset.

Also look carefully through all pages of the BIOS.  Sometimes the proper setting may be buried under a name that is not immediately clear as to its function.

Doh!

I have been battling a low CMOS battery, and somewhere along the line every BIOS setting was correct EXCEPT the setting to disable the built-in LAN ports.

Darn EGO! I was so sure I had the setting right, I wouldn't even check it...

Thanks bubbaQ, RobJ and limetech (Tom is it?).

Consider this solved.