Cache not being used on "cache yes" share?

Hello all,

This weekend i decided to try moving my downloads directory from the default dedicated Downloads share to a directory within the Media share (with Cache set to "Yes").  I wanted to make use of hardlinks when moving media around rather than full copies, but I was also hoping to keep downloads on the cache instead of waking up the disks.

Unfortunately, it seems for some reason Unraid is not properly utilizing the cache - for example, when I start downloads in sabnzbd, it immediately crates directories on the array disks (see screenshot).  I have tried deleting the stray directories on the disks a few times, making sure only "cache" is shown for the location of my downloads folder, but every time i retry a download new directories on the disks are made.

Cache space is not a problem, the cache is 2TB and only 51% full.  Also mover is not involved, it is not scheduled to run until 1am, and like i said these directories on the disks are created immediately when downloads are started.  sabnzbd has no say in where in the array/cache the directories are created, right?  I thought it was all up to Unraid and its filsystem to properly direct new data to the cache instead of the disks.

The only volume mapping (besides config) i have in sabnzbd is:

/data/Downloads/ <---> /mnt/user/Media/Downloads/

I guess I could try changing it to this instead to force using only the cache:

/data/Downloads/ <---> /mnt/cache/Media/Downloads/

but I didn't think it would work with the hardlinks.

Anyway, thanks for any help!

Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 5.18.05 PM.png

Edited by acosmichippo