Build i had over the last 2+ yrs GETTTING HOTTTTT! Help

Gizo

Can anyone recommend a better case for my build Motherboard

Micro-Star International Co., Ltd B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02) , Version 1.0

American Megatrends Inc., Version 3.70

Processor

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core @ 3600 MHz (edited)

Using 7 drives shuck 10-14tb ,2 parity 14tb

1 500gb cache drive

My case is a Cooler master HAF 912

with about 7 arctic fans

stream to just me and my dad, but my some drives go up to 111f or above, using cool master 212 add-on fan..

64gb ram.. also. ddr4. and help would be GREATLY appreciated, thinking need a new case, ram okay? idk though id ask some like minded ppl.. for their 2 cent. obviously a better case or rack mount which ive never done before but willing to investing something long lasting. I'm not in my forever home (rent) so certain things are kinda outta my control at that point.

EDIT: its concurring event since living on second story condo...

any rec's  would be much helpful

Edited by Gizo
41 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Can anyone recommend a better case for my build

I am looking at the HAF912, it seems that by default there is a 200mm intake fan in front of the drive cage. I am right ? Could be good enough to bring fresh air to a GC or CPU if there are no obstructions (like HDDs). Not great for high static pressure.

Did you replace it by 2x 120 mm fans ?

If it is still too hot, are the fan at full speed or controlled by the motherboard ?

First, clean out the case with compressed air.   (Do in an open area where the dust won't cause problems!)

Second, set up the air flow through the case so that all cooling air enters at the front and is exited through the rear.  With servers, you need to have the coolest air pass over and around your hard drives first.  With servers, all of the drives create a situation which tends to restrict air flow around the drives. You have to design your setup to provide for adequate air flow for those drives!  Make sure that any side case fan opening is sealed or, better, has a fan that sucks air out of the case. (By the way, you can never have too many fans sucking air out of the back of the case when you have hot drives.) 

Edited by Frank1940
10 minutes ago, Gizo said:

just wonderinf if a better case my help...

Maybe, or your current case may work fine if you strategically block off and channel the air so it only goes where it can cool the drives most effectively. Most computer cases aren't designed with keeping multiple hard drives cool, so you may have to reverse fans and / or block off useless vents, and add walls to push the air where it's needed. All the air going through the case should pass over the drives first, so no intake fans behind the drives in the flow path.

Do you have fans installed in all of the cases openings?  Those in the back exhausting, the ones front blowing in. Do you have the top 200mm fan installed?  Are all the fans powered straight from the power supply so they are always moving the maximum amount of air?

Basically, most computer cases today are not designed to be used for servers!   With the tremendous storage capacity of Hard Drives, few people find need for more than one hard drive and an SSD in a desktop machine.  (For example, the now discontinued Antec 900 and 1200 cases had provisions for 9 and 12 drives as delivered and could be be configured with up to 20 3.5" drives with the proper after-market enclosures.) There are server cases available (>10 drive slots) but most are very expensive and tend to be the 'rack mount' type. They are set up to cool the hard drives straight from the manufacturer but the fans provided tend to make them very noisy. 

7 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Maybe, or your current case may work fine if you strategically block off and channel the air so it only goes where it can cool the drives most effectively. Most computer cases aren't designed with keeping multiple hard drives cool, so you may have to reverse fans and / or block off useless vents, and add walls to push the air where it's needed. All the air going through the case should pass over the drives first, so no intake fans behind the drives in the flow path.

isnt that getting it custome cases at that point? , i ony let my step dad browser my linux iso's

1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

Do you have fans installed in all of the cases openings?  Those in the back exhausting, the ones front blowing in. Do you have the top 200mm fan installed?  Are all the fans powered straight from the power supply so they are always moving the maximum amount of air?

Basically, most computer cases today are not designed to be used for servers!   With the tremendous storage capacity of Hard Drives, few people find need for more than one hard drive and an SSD in a desktop machine.  (For example, the now discontinued Antec 900 and 1200 cases had provisions for 9 and 12 drives as delivered and could be be configured with up to 20 3.5" drives with the proper after-market enclosures.) There are server cases available (>10 drive slots) but most are very expensive and tend to be the 'rack mount' type. They are set up to cool the hard drives straight from the manufacturer but the fans provided tend to make them very noisy. 

yes