We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Array allocation method info

Hello everybody, I have been installing unraid for 2 days and am transferring the files from my old xpenology config. After reading the wiki on shares and allocation methods I created a first share called "ebook", this share will contain two subfolders "Manga" and "Comics" with several files inside. My intent is to keep these subfolders all on one disk so as not to spin the whole array when I read comics on komga. This I managed to do by setting the split level to 1, but I don't find myself with the high water method. From what I understand it should start filling the disks starting from the largest one, instead it saved the ebook folder on the 8tb disk instead of the 10tb one. did I do something wrong?array.thumb.png.e940a44a62c6bb6655cd44ad9fd29cff.pngsetting.thumb.png.fc2f2790d6d80f0f91c8cd8404f5a89b.pngdisk2.png.c1106b5440d2f3bad44d2af6c0d53bce.png20110487_disk4.png.359c6f2a9a3a1b8196a29c31260757d6.png

3 minutes ago, Sildenafil said:

From what I understand it should start filling the disks starting from the largest one,

That's not correct, first pass will be until there's 5TB free on the largest disks, but since disk2 comes before disk3 it will use that one until 3TB are used, then it will start writing to disk3 until 5TB are used/free, more info below:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Un-Official_UnRAID_Manual#High_Water

For this particular Use Case it might be better to set the Include option for the share to only use the 10TB drive so the Allocation method is then irrelevant.   Note however this will not automatically move files already on the array - it will only apply to new files you copy to the array and existing files would have to be moved manually.