Adapting Netgear NAS

I am having problems with a Netgear Ready NAS NV+, it's IP/MAC  address will not connect and Netgear cant find a solution,  can I install Unraid via usb to re write the unit to use Unraid  not Netgear RAIDar ? will change the unit's IP and MAC address ? Can I reset the IP and MAC address once installed ? 

I don't really want to use this unit as a Raid backup anyways, I want to use it's 4 drive bays and networked storage and ditch my older networked pc's, would this be possible ?

It's not standard x86/PC hardware, it's a custom RISC system so no...

Looking around it seems there are a few people mentioning the network interface died on theirs so it might be what happened to you, not much use to be gotten from it if that's the case.

Edited by Kilrah

Hiya,

thanks for prompt reply, i was thinking it might be the case, I also asked Netgear support the same question and they came back " Not sure" - "You could try it !!" with all other issues thinking this is not the right gear for what I want to achieve.

Looking at stripping the motherboard out of the Nas and connecting a mini pc with Unraid ? the most usefull part of the Nas is the quick change 4 drive bays - other than that not looking for a backup system just convenient storage - I have 9 drives split over 3 pc's networked and could do with reducing the space they take up.

Thanks for your reply

24 minutes ago, Ckay said:

stripping the motherboard out of the Nas and connecting a mini pc with Unraid ? the most usefull part of the Nas is the quick change 4 drive bays

Unless the 4 bay hotswap already has a SAS backplane (very doubtful) I can't think of a good way to connect those drives into another box. USB is out for reliability reasons, eSATA is cumbersome with 4 connections, regular SATA would require a good bit of hardware hacking, and the cable length limitations would come into play. If the backplane does have regular SATA outputs, I suppose you could put a SAS expander in the hot swap box to convert over, then put a PCIE SAS card with external connectors in the mini PC.

image.png.188d6a5d1fdc66fa14f230a4f65f5eaa.png

Thanks for your response, seems like I got a nice box for the shelf, cant think of much else for it, not going to sell it on because it wouldn't be fair on the next owner and I doubt if Netgear are going to solve the problem from the answers I've got so far, Sella vie - such is life, 

Final word on this saga - Most Comical really, verging on the pathetic - Final response from Netgear Support after repeating same questions 3 times and supplying same answers 3 times !!!!

NETGEAR Support Agent

2022-07-22 07:22:45

Hello

Please make sure that your system and NAS should be in same network.

Also, You are using a very old model of NAS and unfortunately we do not support this device anymore .

We will suggest you to purchase new model from https://www.netgear.com/ to protect your data .

Also, You can go to https://community.netgear.com to get your questions answered.

Best Regards
Nivedita Pandit
ReadyNAS Technical Support
NETGEAR ®
Connect with Innovation ™