HYEPYC | High End EPYC Milan Build

If you were to build this today what would you change? I built me a 14900k with 128gb ddr 5 ecc 5400 mhz on a ASUS w680 ace impi but it’s leaving me lacking for the ability to add u.2 ssds. I’m finding u.2 ssds are about half the price of m.2, can endure x10 more, and have PLP. My other option would be to shell big on a bifurcating pcie card. Thoughts? Running about 20 mechanical hdds, a couple of 8tb Samsung qvos, and have a handful of u.2 drives id like to use and move away from sata and m.2 drives.  

2 hours ago, engin33rh3r3 said:

If you were to build this today what would you change? I built me a 14900k with 128gb ddr 5 ecc 5400 mhz on a ASUS w680 ace impi but it’s leaving me lacking for the ability to add u.2 ssds. I’m finding u.2 ssds are about half the price of m.2, can endure x10 more, and have PLP. My other option would be to shell big on a bifurcating pcie card. Thoughts? Running about 20 mechanical hdds, a couple of 8tb Samsung qvos, and have a handful of u.2 drives id like to use and move away from sata and m.2 drives.  

The only thing I would have changed is I'd have gone with 4x3.84TB or 4x7.68TB U.2/U.3 drives. And the reason being, I need more flash capacity. I have Mover set to move stuff quite quickly at the moment because well:

NPA4ERNE5.png

I'm like this constantly. There is terabytes more data I want held in the cache for performance reasons and I'm often at the limit. I think I was at 97% the other day. These 2TB SSD's are great but I need more capacity.

I still have a x16 slot unpopulated and two of these connectors on the board each of which can take 2 x U.2 or M.2 drives (with adapters). So I could potentially add 8 x U.2 drives total though I'm more likely to just buy 4. So that's probably what I'll change up next.

The 980 Pro's are fast. I've managed to hit 18GB/s with kernel updates and other changes so they're not at all slouches, love the performance and the temperature characteristics but the capacity, 2TB per drive just wasn't enough.

Endurance wise I'm not concerned as much, each drive is rated to 1.2PB so with 4 in RAID0 like I have now thats 4.8PB of write endurance. I think I've used 2% on each drive since I isntalled them just over a year ago. But capacity, I need more and I think U.2 enterprise drives are the way to go, the cost per TB is so much lower as you pointed out.

Apart from that I don't think I'd change anything to be honest. I love the CPU and Motherboard, the RAM quantity was perfect for what I do, I'm happy with the 2 x 2TB SN850's which I'm using for VM's and Dockers in RAID1.

Based on what I just said here I'd probably advise you to also go with U.2's if you need the capacity, consistent performance acros the whole drive or the high endurance.