We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Missing array drive is no longer being emulated

Just now, trurl said:

Just curious, how long does 16TB parity check take with that setup?

Iirc, last time it was slightly under 1.5 days. It starts off at somewhere around 200MB/s and by the end slows down to less than half of that (no idea if the slowing down thing is normal)

I'm surprised it works as well as it does, but you may have one of those rare USB setups that don't cause any of the many problems often encountered with USB in the array or pools. Just the fact that you are getting SMART reports is better than many USB enclosures, and if it hasn't been disabling disks due to disconnects maybe it is OK and not really to blame for anything.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Running -L is usually (always?) necessary to actually do the repair. Not sure if you will like the result, but I guess there is nothing else to be done.

So I've tried running -L and I don't think I got anything out of it, it spent about a minute writing to the parity drive at 50MB/s then stopped and it told me there was an error and to run the command again, the second time it finished but doesn't appear to have actually done anything other than the XFS file system corrupt message being gone in the Main tab. Unless there's another step I need to do? Or is this something that I need to actually put in a new HDD for it to rebuild onto?

12 hours ago, ElliotJMD said:

doesn't appear to have actually done anything other than the XFS file system corrupt message being gone in the Main tab

That is all it was supposed to do. The whole point of repairing the filesystem was so it wouldn't be corrupt anymore.

Disk4 still missing, but emulated disk4 is mounted. Rest of diagnostics looks good so far.

Filesystem repair often puts things it can't figure out in a lost+found folder at the top level of the disk. A top level folder is automatically a user share.

Looks like you have a lost+found user share, and it is all on disk4 as expected. Can't tell what or how much is in it from diagnostics.

You may not be able to see lost+found over the network unless you change its Security Settings. Public access is fine. Since you are on v6.10, you could also install Dynamix File Manager plugin and use it to examine lost+found.

To see how much is in it, click Compute... for lost+found on the User Shares page, wait for the result, and post a screenshot.

15 hours ago, ElliotJMD said:

If there is a chance of getting the data back it would be preferable even if it leaves me with a bunch of corrupted files, depending what is on the drive I would actually be perfectly contempt with only retrieving a table of contents.

Just reviewed the thread and saw this.

lost+found usually results in files with unknown names from unknown folders. The linux 'file' command might be used on a file to help determine what kind of data is in the file so you can open it. If there are a lot of lost+found may not be worth the trouble.

7 hours ago, trurl said:

To see how much is in it, click Compute... for lost+found on the User Shares page, wait for the result, and post a screenshot.

image.thumb.png.dc45df118eb53db32877d62b43a6788a.png

That's a screenshot of the lost+found compute, from what I can tell 99% of it is music I was ripping before the original drive died and the rest of it is some blender assets