How to connect Unraid to Windows PC with cat5/6 cable?

Hi, I would like to know the step by step configuration procedure for connecting Unraid with My pc directly without using network switch or router.

I couldn't find exactly what needs to be done in specifics on regards to IP management and how and where it should be done on both windows side and Unraid side. Little dumb in this sense please help.

Edited by ThePhotraveller

For Windows computer, Google    windows 10 set static ip address   (Replace "10" with proper version of Windows OS)   This is best to select an address in the 192.168.1.XXX range--- XXX is between 2 and 254.  If the PC is connected wirelessly, be sure you select IP address that the wireless router will never assign in your environment.  (You could also use the 192.168.3.XXX range for your  assigned addresses...)

For Unraid server, Connect monitor and keyboard.  Power-up server.  When Boot menu appears, setup the GUI option.

Then select   Settings     >>>  Network Settings    Turn on "Help"  (The    (?)     icon on right side of toolbar.   Setup a second/different static IP address for the server using the Help.  No DNS settings required...

Assuming that both MB's have 1Gbs capability, connect the two PC's together with a cat5/6 cable.  (The two NIC's will figure out which leads to use for send/receive...)

By the way, this solution is so early 1990's.  I am wondering why you are not using a router/switch.  If wiring is an issue, have a look at flat Ethernet cable.  It can be run virtually anywhere and hidden under carpet, throw rugs, etc.

EDIT:  I also forgot (since you ask for step-by-step).... You will have to use IP addresses to connect to the other server.  Network names like 'TOWER', 'MYPC' don't exist in this environment!

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, trurl said:

Do you not want either your PC or your server to have internet access? Without internet access neither will be able to update or install anything new.

Yes. Absolutely, Would i be able to connect internet through my pc? My pc has a wireless adapter, how should i connect both the networks at the same time?

Edited by ThePhotraveller
4 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

For Windows computer, Google    windows 10 set static ip address   (Replace "10" with proper version of Windows OS)   This is best to select an address in the 192.168.1.XXX range--- XXX is between 2 and 254.  If the PC is connected wirelessly, be sure you select IP address that the wireless router will never assign in your environment.  (You could also use the 192.168.3.XXX range for your  assigned addresses...)

For Unraid server, Connect monitor and keyboard.  Power-up server.  When Boot menu appears, setup the GUI option.

Then select   Settings     >>>  Network Settings    Turn on "Help"  (The    (?)     icon on right side of toolbar.   Setup a second/different static IP address for the server using the Help.  No DNS settings required...

Assuming that both MB's have 1Gbs capability, connect the two PC's together with a cat5/6 cable.  (The two NIC's will figure out which leads to use for send/receive...)

By the way, this solution is so early 1990's.  I am wondering why you are not using a router/switch.  If wiring is an issue, have a look at flat Ethernet cable.  It can be run virtually anywhere and hidden under carpet, throw rugs, etc.

EDIT:  I also forgot (since you ask for step-by-step).... You will have to use IP addresses to connect to the other server.  Network names like 'TOWER', 'MYPC' don't exist in this environment!

Thanks mate. 1. I am connecting directly now because of the situation and my switch failed or something. My network doesnt switch to gigabit through the switch, I am suspecting the network switch only. Also I need to copy few files only and after that the server will be moved to another location. So i dont think getting a new switch is an option too. 

2. Am curious see how this connection works ;)

2 hours ago, ThePhotraveller said:

2. Am curious see how this connection works ;)

Think of a telephone party line.  With TCP/IP, every packet has the IP address of the NIC recipient in the header.  Every NIC listens for and captures any packet that has its address in it.  The sending NIC listens before sending to prevent packet collision.   (The collision problem is why switches and routers are required!!!!  In case you are wondering-- the physical transmission media (Cable, twisted pair, fiber, satellite, etc.) is independent of TCP/IP.   ...As I recall---  been thirty-five plus years since I last really was exposed to the nuts-and-bolts down at that level.) 

7 hours ago, ThePhotraveller said:

Would i be able to connect internet through my pc? My pc has a wireless adapter, how should i connect both the networks at the same time?

It's theoretically possible, but it's a pain. google

windows connection sharing

and see if it's worth trying.

You will need to semi-undo the manual static connection that you were told how to set up, however you will need the knowledge of HOW to set it up and add in the connection sharing bit.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JonathanM said:

It's theoretically possible, but it's a pain. google

windows connection sharing

and see if it's worth trying.

You will need to semi-undo the manual static connection that you were told how to set up, however you will need the knowledge of HOW to set it up and add in the connection sharing bit.

Ha ha. I think I better dont take that direction then. Network is something i dont understand completely. I will follow the procedures mentioned above.