Double Trouble? Two drives failed - advise and assistance required

Hello all.

Once again, I come to you for help and guidance.

During a drive (disk 2) rebuild Disk 9 is in a loop of what sounds (litarally) it trying to start up.

I stop the rebuild as it was saying it was going to take over 1000 days to complete and rebooted.

Now it is showing unmountable 2 x disk but which are available to format (I won't be doing this as in the past I formatted in error and lost all the data on that drive.)

I have 2 x new drives arriving tomorrow and want guidance on how to proceed with hopefully no data loss.

ie can I just add the 2 x new drives respectively and Unraid will re-build accordingly or is there more to it?

I look forward to your guidance.

Many thanks.

Al

PS: if you notice anything else in my diagnostic that I should look into, please let me know too. :)

kraken-diagnostics-20220811-1800.zip

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

Edited by alinkognito
29 minutes ago, alinkognito said:

can I just add the 2 x new drives respectively and Unraid will re-build accordingly or is there more to it?

Since you have single parity (you should consider dual parity with so many disks) there is no way to rebuild 2 disks at once. And rebuild won't fix unmountable anyway. And only one disk is disabled and needs rebuilding.

Thanks for your help.

I will do a check filessystem when I get home later today.

(Might need some confirmation on the correct command, but will reach out when in front of the server)

In the meanwhile, I can see the files, but disk9 is not sounding very healthy. Almost a ticking sound every 10 seconds or so.

This disk9 seems to be the culprit when disk2 was rebuilding and showing over 1000+ days to rebuild.

2 hours ago, alinkognito said:

I will do a check filessystem when I get home later today.

(Might need some confirmation on the correct command, but will reach out when in front of the server)

Check filesystem, click the link.

Better if you don't try to do it at the command line. The webUI knows the correct command, just click on the disk to get to its page and use the Check button.

Be sure to capture the output so you can post it.

Cable replaced.

Rebooted

Disk9 not showing up in array, but in unassigned drives its come up as "35000c500ae408f73" and no longer as "ST16000NM002G_ZL20B2RR0000C943E5AA_35000c500ae408f73 - 16.0 TB"

Capture.PNG.65ee73085f3c7d6f572004cf231041d6.PNG

Alas, was not able to do a check filesystem as unraid is now saying "Stopped. Invalid configuration."

2.thumb.PNG.88077a83fedd0dca217d9fbf7d34b340.PNG

PS: 2 x new 18TB drives available (was planning to use one as my 2nd parity and the other to replace disk2). Now holding tight (and slightly panicy) until further advise.

Hopefully something you can suggest to assist.

Thanks again,

Disk9 is failing:

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: FAILURE PREDICTION THRESHOLD EXCEEDED

That leaves you in a bad spot, is the currently assigned disk2 a spare or the old disk2? It looks healthy, if it's the old one you could re-enable it, would likely only lose any data written to it after it got disabled, if there was any.

A for disk9 you can try ddrescue to recover as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Disk9 is failing:

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: FAILURE PREDICTION THRESHOLD EXCEEDED

That leaves you in a bad spot, is the currently assigned disk2 a spare or the old disk2? It looks healthy, if it's the old one you could re-enable it, would likely only lose any data written to it after it got disabled, if there was any.

A for disk9 you can try ddrescue to recover as much as possible.

disk2 is the old disk which was being re-build. stopped at 89% when unraid started saying 1000+ days to complete

How shall I proceed?

1) add one of the new disks on the server (let;s call it diskA)

2) ddrescue Disk9 so it recover/clone as much data to the new diskA

2) replace Disk9 with the cloned disk (diskA)

3) then replace Disk2 with another new disk (diskB) then re-build?

Apologies if I sound like a laman. Never had this problem before and ddrescue is also new to me.

Thanks

Al

18 minutes ago, alinkognito said:

3) then replace Disk2 with another new disk (diskB) then re-build?

For disk2 it's probably best just to use the existing disk without rebuilding, but first check its state, unassign disk2 from the array, start the array, stop the array, disk2 will now be in the unassigned devices section, see if it mounts with the UD and contents look correct, UD also has a check filesystem option if needed.

cool

• array running in maintenance mode
  • check filesystem run on Disk2
  • "Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... bad primary superblock - bad CRC in superblock !!! attempting to find secondary superblock... .found candidate secondary superblock... verified secondary superblock... would write modified primary superblock Primary superblock would have been modified. Cannot proceed further in no_modify mode. Exiting now."

and as per your guide:

• stopped array
  • disk2 set to no device
  • Disk2 now showing un UD and mounted
  • Contents of drive can be seen, but no option for a check filesystem in UD
  • Ran xfs_repair -n /dev/sds in terminal

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...

bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...

lots of . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  still going