Mount disk in UnRaid

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Hey,

I'm new to Unraid, and I wanted to setup an NAS. The Problem is that my Drives are unmounted. So how do I mount them? I have already Zeroed out all my hard drives, and read a lot of the forum. I dont get it working, can anybody help me?

Bild_2022-08-11_224316471.png

Edited by itzChriZ
  • Solution
27 minutes ago, itzChriZ said:

thanks, but unfortunately the option is grayed out. 

Perfectly normal. Check the box that acknowledges "Yes, I want to do this" and it will become available.

We make it a multi step process to format drives because too often if someone has file system corruption the first thing they want to do is format the drive to make it mountable and then they think parity will restore their files, when the correct thing to do is a file system check. Formatting replaces the table of contents with a blank version, and it effects the parity drive as well, so it makes recovering data much harder or impossible.

In your case, you genuinely DON'T have a valid filesystem yet, so check the box and apply the format.

8 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Perfectly normal. Check the box that acknowledges "Yes, I want to do this" and it will become available.

We make it a multi step process to format drives because too often if someone has file system corruption the first thing they want to do is format the drive to make it mountable and then they think parity will restore their files, when the correct thing to do is a file system check. Formatting replaces the table of contents with a blank version, and it effects the parity drive as well, so it makes recovering data much harder or impossible.

In your case, you genuinely DON'T have a valid filesystem yet, so check the box and apply the format.

Thank you, its working now!

• 1 year later...

I have a drive that has already been formatted but its unmountable, using the gui I tried to run xfs repair.

If we use the above example screen shot, I want to try practicing mounting good drives manually. How would I do it ?

In this scenario I want to try and mount disk 2, would this be the correct example ?

>mkdir /tempxfs
>mount /dev/md2 /tempxfs

or 

>mkdir /tempxfs

>mount /dev/sdb /tempxfs

I am little lost of how do I know which drive is disk 2

I get these errors when trying to mount using the SDB example

/tempxfs: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdi, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

I am currently in MAINT mode. 

@JonathanM

Edited by sstretchh

Why do you think you want to do this? You don't want to mount array disks independently or you will invalidate parity.

On 9/24/2023 at 9:16 AM, sstretchh said:

tried to run xfs repair

Could you give us more details? What was the output from xfs repair? Is the disk mountable now? Just start the array in normal mode and all mountable array disks will be mounted.

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.