We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

VM Manager - Remote Shares

I have two unraid servers and I created a share for all my ISO files on server 1.  On server 2 I created a remote share to that ISO share. However when I go in VM Manager to assign the path of the ISOs to that share, it is not listed and adding it manually VM Manager does not recognize the path.

Is there something I misconfigured?  Is this a limitation of VM Manager?  I really do not want to create two ISO folders on two different servers.

Thank you.

Edited by ximian
23 minutes ago, ximian said:

Yes that is correct.

Using the Unassigned Devices plugin and yes server2 can see the files when I click on the mounted share

Thinking a bit more about it - when assigning it to a VM I think you are limited to defining local files - not remote ones as you define a connection method (e.g. virtio, sata, etc) that is not network aware.  If you want to use a network location it would have to be assigned within the VM after starting it..

Be interested if anyone HAS managed to assign a network location as a drive to a VM at the Unraid VM definition level.

The autocomplete thingy in the "OS Install" field won't let you browse and pick something outside the isos share, but if you type in a path to an UD-mounted remote share it works just fine. Those appear local anyway, qemu won't know there's some network mount trickery behind it. 

image.png.4854d73db9226e611a1904399b62e8b2.png

Edited by Kilrah

All right then... Yep you cannot use the path in VM Manager but you can manually add the path to the VM you are creating.

The installation is failing and when I only enter the path it is not seeing all the ISO files.

So seems that I still have an issue. 

image.png.e16131ba3aaf2da9b94bd62397935f75.png

Edited by ximian